Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.
I'm currently restoring my 10 103 giulietta which was originaly red with black interior. I completely stripped the car to bare metal for repainting properly again but I would like to do it in a different color than the original red. Do you think it will decrease the value of the car? Thank you for your answers.

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
I would tend to agree. I'm not even sure that it needs to be a factory original color. As long as you do not choose some totally off color, you should be fine. Staying with a factory color is the conservative way to go, and if you find one you like, that is even better. The fact is, it will never again have its original paint.

My '57 Sprint is going to be dark red. Not a color these cars were painted from the factory, but I have seen a few this color, and they look AMAZING! I do not expect this to effect the value, but some people may disagree. I guess those people do not have to buy it after I die (I do not plan for it to be for sale before that happens :) )

Good luck,
Scott

·
Registered
634 Posts
I think its fine...I would suggest a period correct color though.. this would not have to be an Alfa color.,,,but it's your car so who cares.

just my thoughts.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would choose a factory color, but by asking the Centro Documentazione Alfa Romeo what were the different color combinations possible, they said they only give information if I kept the original conditions of the car . That's why I was wondering if the value of the car decreased if I change the body color?

·
Registered
473 Posts
The same thing happened to my friend.
If you are not willing to maintain the originality, it is assumed that you do not need the support of the Centro Documentazione.
I admit that I agree with this policy

On the other hand, the answer is yes: the value may be affected.
Just a suggestion: Don't do it! ;)
A.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Short answer is probably. "Resale Red" we call it down here and cars in non-standard colours are - as a general rule - not regarded as highly as those that are the colour they left the factory in.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I would not worry too much about a decrease in price. I've changed from the original graphite gray to a later period metallic gray color. Just perfect in my opinion!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am in the same postion. My car was grey, then bright blue, and is now naked. I plan to respray the car in metalluic olive green which was an alfa colour at the time. I am hoping it will look like a mini aston!

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
If the color is changed to another factory color available in the same production year, then the value will not be affected. Likewise for the interior. Hence, as long as the color combination is original for the model year of the car, it will not hurt the value. As a general rule, any deviation from that originality standard will typically make the car less concours competitive, which lessens the value in proportion to the amount of the deviation. Note that I am talking about concours standards for competitive cars. This simply would not apply to a non-original driver car.

As far as re-sale value, yes, there are original color combinations that have much more appeal than other original color combinations, and this will likely increase its price. By the same token, and while there certainly are exceptions, it is usually harder to attract broad appeal with a non-original color combination.

Best regards,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts