Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see some old post on changing fuel filters.
However this is my first attempt at changing the front fuel filter on my 81 spider veloce and I see it is rather difficult as the front fuel filter is hidden under under the plenum.
The filter on the car has never been changed. It is the original filter from 1981
The manual says to remove the washer tank to gain access. Remove the bolt and replace filter. As everyone knows it is not that easy as I want to change gaskets seals as well.
It looks like I can remove the washer plastic tank and up front the antifreeze plastic tank and get access to all the fuel lines and electric wires.
I assume taking the bowl compleatly out and assembling the filter and gaskets is the best way to ensure it is fitted correctly.
Any info or advice experiende is appriciated.

·
Registered
9,775 Posts
The filter is probably the same as mine on my '73 .. Either way it really is best to remove the whole unit . It gives you a better visual inspection of the internals and better assurance the can is properly seated when you close it up. In the end it is the easiest way to go.

·
Registered
78 Alfa Spider
334 Posts
I agree. Remove the entire unit. Since the filter hasn't been changed since 1981, I would also do a thorough inspection of the entire fuel delivery system. My guess is that the hoses are also original and in need of changing.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Is there a preferred filter brand for this? Does it come with the 2 rubber gaskets for the top and bottom of the filter and the large gasket between the upper and lower halves of the canister? And at the bottom of the canister, what comes first... the chicken, or the egg? I.e., is the stacking order at the bottom of the canister supposed to be spring-gasket-filter, or gasket-spring-filter...?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts