Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if Akebono makes pads for a 92 Spider Veloce? I've heard that a BMW 320i front set will work as a replacement ceramic brake pad.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,371 Posts
I don't know what ceramic brake pads are available for Alfas, but I am curious as to why you are looking for ceramics?

IMHO, the main benefit of ceramic brake pads is low dust levels (but I could be wrong).

When I shop for brake pads I am mainly after maximum stopping ability and resistance to fade. For that, a good carbon metallic pad works well for street and light track, with only *medium* dusting.

If you really want to stop well on the track, Performatek has some killer compounds that might not be as streetable as carbon metallics, but man do they stop.

Joe

·
Registered
403 Posts
Ceramic Pads,
I Don't know about the Akebono, but Carbotech makes a number of ceramic compounds for Alfa's from street to full race. Performatech can supply them for you or I can get them for you. I am very happy with their full race compound.
One thing to note; Ceramic compounds typically need a fresh rotor or rotor surface to start. You shouldn't just take off whatever you have been running, put on ceramic pads and expect them to perform. I found the first rotor and pad bedding to be tricky. From that point on pad wear and brake feel is exceptional. My .02

Andy

·
Premium Member
9,764 Posts
Ceramic Pads,
I Don't know about the Akebono, but Carbotech makes a number of ceramic compounds for Alfa's from street to full race. Performatech can supply them for you or I can get them for you. I am very happy with their full race compound.
One thing to note; Ceramic compounds typically need a fresh rotor or rotor surface to start. You shouldn't just take off whatever you have been running, put on ceramic pads and expect them to perform. I found the first rotor and pad bedding to be tricky. From that point on pad wear and brake feel is exceptional. My .02

Andy
ceramic brake lining compounds contain no chopped steel fibers or steel wool as found in earlier semi-metallic linings, but instead substitute ceramic compounds and copper fibers. These changes provide modern ceramic-based lining materials the capability of handling today's high brake temperatures with less heat fade, faster recovery time, and less wear on both the pads and rotors.'

Of even more value to brake repair facilities is the ability of ceramic lining compounds to significantly reduce annoying brake noise or squeal, which is the No. 1 consumer complaint relating to brake service. Ceramic compounds dampen noise and move brake pad vibrations to a frequency outside of our human hearing range, 20 Hz through 20,000 Hz. As with earlier disc brake pad designs, some ceramic pad applications may also incorporate other noise-reducing features such as chamfers, slots and insulator shims. One leading after-market manufacturer has gone as far as naming its line of ceramic brake pads "Quiet Stop."

Another positive characteristic associated with ceramic brake lining materials is the absence of visible brake dust, a feature that any vehicle owner with stylish wheels will appreciate. All brake materials, ceramic included, will produce some brake dust. Earlier semi-metallic and organic brake compounds left a brownish black dust on wheels. In comparison, ceramic compounds produce a light-colored dust that is much less noticeable and does not attach itself to wheels.

Although an increase in product cost will more than likely be associated with ceramic-based brake linings, their benefits may be worthwhile for consumers. Based on their own durability tests, lining manufacturers say these compounds will outlast most other premium pad materials by a considerable margin. However, after-market brake pads with ceramic materials should only be used on those applications where the OEM specified a similar formula.

I think you will find that most low dust pads have ceramic in them already.
No need to search out a "ceramic pad", unless you feel the need.
Just buy a low dust good pad, like ferodo, ATE, carbon tech, or whatever. Stay away from semi-metallic and there is a good likelihood that you will get a ceramic compound mixed with an organic.

Only problem that I know of is that a full ceramic pad may wear the rotor more quickly if the rotor cannot handle or is not made for ceramic.

Jason

·
Registered
492 Posts
Akebono

FWIW, as to Akebono "ceramic" pads, I use them on my VW Passat and like the feel and performance. They are far from dust free, but better than stock VW pads. The "grip" is much better than stock. I have no idea about the other Spider specific pads mentioned or if Akebono makes pads for the Spider (maybe they have a web site?).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts