Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I always check new bought cars with Marco Fazio from the Centro documentatione. Always in the past, the information I received from Alfa corresponded with my cars. My last buy is a Giulia Sprint GT from 1965 with a total unmolested and unrestored body. Never welded, original sills, wheelarches, floors etc. The color combination is Bluette outside with red cloth/leatherette interior. The documentation files delivers the same colors, but vice versa, red outside and blue interior, which is by the way a combination I have never seen. I checked my car in every angle, inside in the wheelarches, under the dash, in the trunk etc and I couldn’t find any red. The inside of the wheelarches for example look so factory like, that I can’t believe, that the car got a respray in the past. Does this mismatch happen to somebody else in the community too? Has someone an early first series Sprint GT in red with a blue interior? Any comment is very appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Marco has been accurate every time for me. Its quite possible this is just a typo, after all he is human! You should re-check with him again.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Anthony, thanks for your comment. I changed 3 emails with Marco because I know, that he is very precise and as I wrote, always in the past I became never a misleading reply. Marco checked it twice and informed me, that he has no other informations. Maybe 50 years ago somebody made a mistake. I wonder, because the configuration is exactly vice versa as the car.

What do you think when you look at the pictures. For me all looks very original.

Roland

·
Registered
17 Posts
Same problem with my 2000 GTV.
The paint is original Blu Pervinca Metallizzato with red leather interior.
Information from Centro Storico:
Beige Chiaro Metallizzato with red leather interior.

Your paint looks very original for me.
Regards

·
Premium Member
15,845 Posts
"but vice versa, red outside and blue interior, which is by the way a combination I have never seen"

My original Alfa, a 64 Sprint GT, 6th one built and first red one (so I was told when I bought the car), was that exact color combination, red outside, blue cloth/vinyl interior. I suspect that was what was meant.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Del, I restored several early GTs and later coupes and I know how they look after several resprays. I'm sure that my car has left the factory in Bluette. I don't know how and when Alfa documented the cars they produced. Marco can only inform about the infos he has. But I wonder, that he is not able to correct the data in case the data is wrong.

Roland

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry Del, I answered 2000Bertone with your name.

Meanwhile Marco informed me, that they have many cars with your color combination in their data files. I never saw one like that, but nice to hear, that they really exist.

Roland

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
My guess is it's a 50 year old mistake. Or maybe only 30 or whatever. I'm imagining in '65 it may well have been written in a ledger by hand then some time later on transferred to a computer? Or maybe Marco goes straight to the ledgers? I have no idea but it seems by far to be the most likely root issue. If it said it was green with a brown interior or something it would be more intriguing but in this case it seems like a simple transposition.

That being said it now seems like the mistake itself is history. I'm not sure it even SHOULD be corrected. It seems to me that in this case Marco's job is as a custodian of historical documents rather that a maintainer of the data contained in the historical documents. It also is slightly dodgy as a matter of practice to be mucking with 50 year old data just because somebody writes in and says "I now own this car 50 years later and I say it was originally painted a different color". I'm not doubting your assessment at all, Roland, but rather saying that a historian is asking for trouble going down that path in general.

My $.02.

Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts