Alfa Romeo Forums banner

141 - 160 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Jonathan,
Wasn’t it available in English?

@Yachtman It was, but translated by Alfa? So about as clear as the Italian. In any event, the translation says

“Note: Engine number AR 11628 corresponds to the engine first mounted in the vehicle.”

My car’s engine number is stamped AR01500*11628*. So I guess Alfa does have engine #s for some cars?

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #144 (Edited)
Jonathan,
that's great news, and unusual it seems.

Phil,
Got your message, thanks!

Time for me to bite the bullet.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
How many others have received a certificate with the engine number? Is there a pattern or range of cars that they have this info.?

·
Registered
395 Posts
How many others have received a certificate with the engine number? Is there a pattern or range of cars that they have this info.?
In the past, many people received replies from the Alfa archives stating that they would not reveal engine numbers, only confirm if one you supplied was original to the car, or, as in my case (1962 Sprint), didn't have the engine number associated with my car at all. The engine numbers stopped being available for cars after 1961 or so, it seemed. But since FCA has taken over the certificate service I see many reports of success with engine numbers, mostly with cars from the 70's on-. Maybe it's worth another inquiry on my part.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have recently received information from Alfa (3 May 2018) stating that the engine number I provided them is matched with the engine first mounted with the vehicle.

·
Registered
337 Posts
In the past, many people received replies from the Alfa archives stating that they would not reveal engine numbers, only confirm if one you supplied was original to the car, or, as in my case (1962 Sprint), didn't have the engine number associated with my car at all. The engine numbers stopped being available for cars after 1961 or so, it seemed. But since FCA has taken over the certificate service I see many reports of success with engine numbers, mostly with cars from the 70's on-. Maybe it's worth another inquiry on my part.
Can you imagine the dialog when FCA came to the Museo:

FCA: “Hey, I was looking around in the back. What are all those boxes of paperwork?”
Alfa Museo: “Huh, i don’t know, never noticed that before...”

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
@ 5thinline,

for the last 12 years, Marco Fazio always gave me the first destination country of the car, interesting that you don't have.

for the engine, and just my own experience, I never had an engine number. maybe because I was always asking about cars before 1966 ?
perhaps, their documentation with engine number began with the 105 serie ?? just a guess.
Chris

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
If Alfa is indeed finally able to provide engine numbers for a specific chassis number: Isn't that going to potentially completely rock all those who used / are using the Fusi Alfa reference book for their expensive / "original" restorations and used a non-original engine. My understanding is the Fusi book has historically been the go to guide for engine numbers but only has a range for a model/year. People have used this range as a guide for the appropriate engine number and you were "safe" if within the FUSI range as there was no way to confirm original number.

·
Registered
395 Posts
If Alfa is indeed finally able to provide engine numbers for a specific chassis number: Isn't that going to potentially completely rock all those who used / are using the Fusi Alfa reference book for their expensive / "original" restorations and used a non-original engine. My understanding is the Fusi book has historically been the go to guide for engine numbers but only has a range for a model/year. People have used this range as a guide for the appropriate engine number and you were "safe" if within the FUSI range as there was no way to confirm original number.
Yes, you're right. The Alfa scholars (and I'm definitely NOT one) have cited many examples where original documents and plates with a particular car differed from Fusi. Also, others have brought up the potential for fraudulent activity (shocking, I know) if the archives were to give out actual engine/chassis combinations to whomever sends in an inquiry.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Why Alfa wakes up today with engine numbers, whereas Elvira and Marco have never talked about it. And it was well before any price increase. It was when nobody wanted to buy an old alfa :laugh2:

What will they say if there was a standard exchange at this era ? (standard exchanges are not numbered). "I am sorry, you car doesn't have the correct engine" :tooth:

Fusi went fishing for info at Alfa, with mistakes, and you think they succeeded to put order in their closets since ? It's odd, no ? Just when the cars are starting to be valuable...

I guess, they are preparing people to sell their "certificate" more expensive.

I would be interested to know if you have confirmations of engines nr on series 750 & 101 and very early 105.
But the real nice way

But the nice thing would have been to have the engine number direct from alfa, to us to confirm whether or not the engine is still on the car !

Chris

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
I spent the $$ in the last four months for the official certificate on my car from Alfa. Sent them an email this week requesting the engine number. No reply yet. Will be interesting if anything comes back.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Curious to see what will be listed on my 71 GTV certificate.(paid for last week). I did ask for it to be printed in English. ( Italian & English would be wonderful!)
I'm going to ask what will be listed and how long it will take to receive.
Reading previous posts it sounds like it will take months and no one knows definitely what will be listed. Par for the course when it comes to Alfa?
I'll report back with their response.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Matched exactly the engine and chassis 🙂

I have recently received information from Alfa (3 May 2018) stating that the engine number I provided them is matched with the engine first mounted with the vehicle.
Matched number to exact engine or was the engine number within the chassis production period???

Attachments

141 - 160 of 221 Posts