Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting the Centerline springs. That means making a spacer to bring the rearend up to the correct height (or close to it). I'm also worried about getting too stiff a ride. Does anyone have experience with this? It is teeth jarring, or just stiffer?
Bob

·
Super Moderator
12,171 Posts
Call Joe Cabb at Centerline. He can best advise you if they offer a product that exactly suits your application Bob.

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
Bob, my yellow Centerline springs don't feel too stiff at all in my Spider; they feel right - just "crisp" enough for my spirited touring purposes. I had to lower (cut) my rear springs a bit to bring the back down, but don't know if that'd also be required on a Sprint. I feel that most stock Sprints sit too high, but that's just me.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I use the Centerline yellow springs on my 750 spider. Not a direct comparison, but...

I don't find them too harsh. I also made spacers to lift the car back to something closer to the original height.....and I still plan to lift the front a touch more, and lower the back a touch more...

But that is just part of the process that you are going to work through because the bushings make a big difference, too. At first I put all poly bushing on my car and found that they transmit too much vibration. I ended up with a mixture of rubber and poly. The sway bar is still poly. I have poly on the top of the shock and rubber on the bottom. That feels about right to me, though some people might like to mix in more rubber.

Cheers,
Jon

·
Registered
325 Posts
The Centerline Springs are for a Spider. From the comments, they seem to work well on a Spider.

However, the Spider's rear spring is a couple of inches shorter than that of a Sprint. After buying the Centerline springs, I had to fabricate an extended spring hat to make up for the shorter rear spring length.

I eventually found correct Sprint springs and replaced the rear mish-mash with something more appropriate.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
I have the Centerline springs in my Sprint--along with a Dave Rugh sway bar.

The rear is too stiff which makes for a choppy ride--even on smooth roads.

In only 4 days got a rear-set from Tony at AlfaStop and it is being installed now.

He notes that the 750/101 guys in UK prefer firmer fronts with the standard rate rears. I'll soon find out.

The outstanding characteristic of the normale suspension is that it was designed to soak up all of the rough pavement. And it still does it well--particularly with modern adjustable shocks.

The springs in my Spider when I bought it 5 years ago worked fine but were a little soft. Installed hard rubber shims in the coils and while not a professional solution it works well--even on the track. Has a Rugh sway bar and Koni Classic Reds.

Looking forward to more testing of the set up on the Sprint. Shocks are AVO with the external screw for changing the stiffness.

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
Bob's post above reminded me to throw this out there as well: in setting up my racing Sprint's rear suspension, my mechanic suggested going with the stock soft springs in the rear; these are apparently very good springs all-around!

I recently went driving with Brad Baum, who brought along his '58 Sprint, on stock suspension, I believe; it was great fun seeing his car lean in the corners. We then swapped cars, and I noted that his car handled quite well in the twisties, with a totally-compliant ride over rough pavement; both characteristics made for some great high-speed canyon run!

See photo of Brad's car below.

Attachments

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, here's how it settled. I talked to Tony at AlfaStop this morning, and he did find a set of stock rear springs, which I will get next week. Jon Norman is sending me a pair of the Centerline front springs and a 1' sway bar. That sounds like a reasonable solution. thanks -all- for their comments.
Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts