Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a Fuel sending unit from centerline alfa. In their description it says you might have to bend the arm to match the old one.

Several issues.

1. I don't have the old one to compare.
2. The float or arm hits the floor of my tank before the sending is in all the way.
3. I don't know what My gauge is expecting as far as Ohms.

The sender shows ~330 Ohms empty and ~0 full.
The tank is a '73 model with a bottom feed. It has the tube and sump thing right below the sender.
Car is a '74, gauge works fine and light works when the sender is out and tested. Empty is empty and full is full.

The gauge is not linear at all. Full is ~0 Ohms, but 1/2 is ~90 Ohms and the light comes on at about ~190 Ohms.

I'm hoping someone here has run into the same issue and has some tips on how to make the sender fit and work correctly.

·
Premium Member
14,035 Posts
I checked a spider fuel gauge on the bench. It needed 170 ohms to read zero, 75 ohms to read 50% and 0 ohms to read full. the needle moved off the bottom stop, below zero when the ohms dropped below 214.

I hope that this helps.

·
Registered
558 Posts
There are two different tank capacities, something like 12 gallon vs 14 gallon, more or less. The smaller one's top is pretty flush with the trunk floor and the larger one sticks above the floor an inch or inch and a half (I haven't gone down to the garage to measure, but you get the idea).
And, as you can guess, there are two different sending units... Whether they are electrically different, I don't know, but I somehow doubt it.
You should either change it for a smaller tank sender, or bend it, or you won't get the low fuel level warning light to work, on top of the basic issue of the level on the gauge.
HTH...
/Neil

·
Premium Member
14,035 Posts
Jaeger or veglia gauges use different senders...
The resistances that I posted are for Jaeger,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts