Alfa Romeo Forums banner

141 - 146 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I have a hard time believing that any country should have a value added tax. I would rather pay sales tax which depends upon the location instead of a value added tax which is nation wide. I buy parts from many places and do not pay value added tax for example from Alfa Stop or Classic Alfa. I sometimes do not have to pay sales tax depending upon the state.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I have a hard time believing that any country should have a value added tax. I would rather pay sales tax which depends upon the location instead of a value added tax which is nation wide. I buy parts from many places and do not pay value added tax for example from Alfa Stop or Classic Alfa. I sometimes do not have to pay sales tax depending upon the state.
VAT is essentially sales tax. In Britain it makes no sense to have a state-by-state tax - the whole place would fit easily within my home state. You don't pay VAT tax at Classic Alfa because you're not British. You can say goodbye to not paying sales tax within the US soon, especially with the trend towards lowering income tax and raising sales tax to shift the tax burden from rich to poor. Hard to plow the streets, fix the potholes, pay fire fighters, police, build nuclear weapons, fighter jets, missiles, etc., etc., etc. when you depend on sales tax for that and everyone orders their stuff from Amazon. Many states now collect sales tax on out-of-state purchases now for this reason and you can bet it will be the norm.

Nobody likes paying taxes but you have to pay for infrastructure and military somehow.

·
Premium Member
13,092 Posts
build nuclear weapons, fighter jets, missiles
These are not financed by sales tax, nor can they be unless we have a national sales tax. Government revenue from taxes increased when President Reagan lowered tax rates. Read about the Laffer curve if you don't understand how that worked. There is little doubt that current high tax rates have resulted in US corporations holding about 2 trillion dollars in foreign countries. Reducing the corporate tax will cause that money to be repatriated, boosting economic activity and generating more tax revenue for the government. That is the plan as I understand it.

141 - 146 of 146 Posts