Alfa Romeo Forums banner

121 - 140 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
I to have seen several of the business's fail over the course of time, and they were doing very well. For whatever reason they folded. I am glad to see Centerline pick up the inventory and suppliers from IAP. I am passing my cars on to my children and they will need someone to provide parts for them. We have a very active group of enthusiasts on the board and passions can run high. I am for one thankful that we have Centerline and others that can provide parts for us. Some of the parts cannot be easy to source or find acceptable substitutes. Thank you Joe for your business.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Alternate Suppliers

I have mostly used Centerline for more than 30 years (back to the Stephen days). IAP never had much in the way of 750 stuff to offer me.

That said, I found the list below (from earlier in this thread) to be missing AlfaStop. Is there a reason for this? I ask as I'm putting together an order for parts that only they offer.

Thanks
Ron

Main UK are:
EB Spares
Classic Alfa
Highwood Alfa
Alfaholics

don't forget Germany, lots of good suppliers here too!
OKP
my-alfa (Bertelsbeck)
a.f.l-ricambi
spiderpoint
G. Haeckner
Heinbrand
Frank Hanel
Alfa Service
del Priore

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
That said, I found the list below (from earlier in this thread) to be missing AlfaStop. Is there a reason for this? I ask as I'm putting together an order for parts that only they offer.
An oversight would be the only reason I can think of. I just spoke with Tony a couple of weeks back. I don't get as many 750/101 cars as I do later cars, but I order something from Tony for almost every one that does come in the door.

BTW, in all this talk about takeovers & failing parts vendors, I think an important point has been lost. IAP didn't fail as a business. The founder was in his 70s, & he was ready to retire. I'm not an insider to all this, but I seriously doubt that Joe had any suitors to fight off when he acquired IAP. It's a very small niche market without six & 7 figure values on the vehicles involved. As such, it doesn't have a lot of appeal from a business perspective.

I won't dismiss or discredit anyone's negative experiences because that's not fair to someone posting honestly about their experiences. I will say that such experiences are the exception & not the rule, which is the best you can hope for with any business.

·
Premium Member
3,877 Posts
IAP didn't fail as a business. The founder was in his 70s, & he was ready to retire.
I was just fixing to post this about Paul.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have mixed feeling about this! They have both servered the Alfa community for so long, and I have bought quite a few things in the past 3 years for this current project. Its like saying good bye to an old friend. When I had my Spider over 20 years ago I only knew of IAP and used them often, since it was also around the time Alfa shut down here in the United States.

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
Maybe my front caliper will come in?

:wink2:

·
Registered
398 Posts
So you always ask who is the manufacturer of every part you buy? And do you know which are the better and worse ones for specific parts?
You know.... yes some times I do, especially when it I consider it to be a critical part, or parts.

In fact I did this very thing today with Centerline. The young man I was dealing with got it screwed up and made a mistake. After asking and confirming what brand of front suspension and steering parts he could supply, I agreed to place the whole order for my Duetto. Which I did. Not 5 minutes later he emailed me back to 'clarify'. I'm waiting to hear how they are going to resolve this issue.

Stay tuned.... my first real order to CL could be my last.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I will miss IAP I used both and nether one seemed to have the same parts at any one time. and Vicks too, I think all of the vendors do a very very good job.
The parts are very very good compared to the US parts places.

I just got done changing every part on the front of a ford torus 2 times.
As the first set of parts were all junk from the local autoplace.
Ball joints that were bad from the get go, disks that warped real bad as soon as they got hot in normal use.
And finding that you have to shop for only moog problem solver versions. And that the regular moog parts are no good. The madness.

I would like to see the IAP type website the centerline pdf of a paper book is a real pain to find stuff.

It seems like the centerline book is smaller every year...

Getting vetted parts is a big deal. and I think all the Alfa guys do the very best they can and that credit is do.
The local chains don't do anything, any junk from china goes in a box.

·
Premium Member
3,512 Posts
I would like to see the IAP type website the centerline pdf of a paper book is a real pain to find stuff.
As said, sorry to hear IAP close and thanks to Joe at Centerline for picking up the inventory and supporting our community.

I do have to agree with slyalfa that the IAP website was more friendly.

You would choose your specific vehicle, model, year and when you searched for parts, you would be brought to the correct fit for your vehicle.

Thanks again.

Vin

·
Premium Member
26,713 Posts
As said, sorry to hear IAP close and thanks to Joe at Centerline for picking up the inventory and supporting our community.

I do have to agree with slyalfa that the IAP website was more friendly.

You would choose your specific vehicle, model, year and when you searched for parts, you would be brought to the correct fit for your vehicle.

Thanks again.

Vin
See https://www.centerlinealfa.com/store If you select the SHOP button and then click on ALL button on left side of screen you can THEN select your Alfa model/series you want to shop for THEN you get specific parts lists for your model.
However, I think if they would just modify the ALL button to read Choose Model/Series it might make it easier to navigate web site catalog.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I already miss the IAP catalog...... not that I can't navigate digitally, it was just nice to thumb through and find parts that I wanted, and not necessarily needed. They got extra business form guys like me who possess that instant gratification gene.

I'm sorry.... I just don't find the CL website user friendly, and not all that accurate either. You can find parts if you are willing to scroll through the 'ALL' section for your model, that don't even show up, under your specific model. The fun part is.... when you are going through the 'ALL' pages..... if you look at the details of something on page 41, and go 'Back to Listing' it takes you all the way back to page 1. If you hit your 'Back' button.... its even worse..... welcome home !!!

My first real order from CL is due to arrive in a couple of days.....the jury is still out.

BG

·
Registered
231 Posts
Totally agree as the CL website does need improvement in how the user navigates around the site.

I want to support the US Alfa parts businesses but still have yet to find a place that has ALL of what I need - in stock at and at a good price. I am tired of ordering parts from different folks and therefore have been shopping overseas a lot lately.

More times than not - better pricing/availability from the guys in the UK and with the dollar being strong the price tag is affordable. Plus you can order on Friday and the box arrives Monday!

I still peruse the NA suppliers first and see if they have what I need and compare the price but I already know the outcome...

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
I rarely shop on websites. The phone is much more accurate and less time consuming. The other advantage is many of these websites are out of stock or enroute so you know exactly where you stand. If I need the product and someone doesn't have it, I find it gets their attention that I am going somewhere else and they understand with no bitterness...It's part of the thrill of an order and the agony of losing one. .... and many times the vendor has other interesting stuff not in the catalog or website. I also spread my business around. There are many sources without websites.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought a starter from IAP and due to finding other issues with the car that needed attention before the starter was needed, it was almost a year before I was able to send the old starter back for my core charge refund. In the meantime, the acquisition had taken place. No problem, I returned the starter with the paperwork showing I was owed the core charge and Centerline honored it. Good on ya Centerline.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Would be very nice if we had AIP or Centerline, right here, in Canada. Instead, we have: Shipping and import handling charges (and UPS is by no means cheap), import duties (where there shouldn't be any on car or motorcycle parts) HST (harmonized sales tax, nothing harmonious about this) and, of course, the mighty Dollar difference, which all in all, makes something worth thirty three bucks turn into something like one hundred and ten. If we were to use "names" to appease our frustration, it wouldn't be AIP or Centerline (which, I must admit, have done a great job for me) we would direct them at. Very sincerely. John Pair

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
Whatever happened to the founder of IAP, Paul Opeila?

What is he doing these days?

Is he still involved with Alfa Romeo in some capacity?

Thanks

121 - 140 of 146 Posts