Alfa Romeo Forums banner

81 - 100 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Get him to list company on the stock exchange and you can buy shares. Then you can all vote one of you guys for CEO.... Did anyone shudder.. Just be thankful you don't live down under. Alfa parts..... some parts are like a Monty Python search for the holy part....None shall pass... maybe I just said "Nee" by mistake on the phone...

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
Just called Centerline to ask about a back ordered IAP part - brake light switch. To make a long story short, the rep was a goofball, didn't seem interested in my concerns, and just a jackass. I do not like the merger and think it will result in poor service and increased prices. Is there a IAP/Centerline rant forum?
Vince
I wonder who you talked to. Last week I called about a fuel tank for the Spica injected cars. I knew IAP stocked them but Centerline doesn't. I talked to Ian and he put it on backorder for me. So if IAP had some in stock he will call me when the parts are unloaded and put in inventory.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yeah, it was Ian that I talked to. I asked if they would continue things such as the online tutorials and videos that IAP did for things such as the fuel line replacements and in-tank fuel pump replacement. Those vids were a great resource. He just about made a joke about it. He didn't seem interested. Just because a part is on backorder for a year, is no reason to brush a person off, much less try to get delivery time, or another resource to find the part.

This merger is in the interest of the companies involved, not the customers. I am hoping that Centerline will get better organized, price competitive and easy to find/order parts with good service like IAP had.

I doubt it.

Vince

·
Supporting Vendor
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
To make a long story short, the rep was a goofball, didn't seem interested in my concerns, and just a jackass. I do not like the merger and think it will result in poor service and increased prices. Is there a IAP/Centerline rant forum?
Vince
While anyone has the right to comment on our policies or performance, making a personal attack like this is completely unnecessary IMHO.

·
Premium Member
13,179 Posts
I did say that I had never purchased from Centerline.... why.... I have been able to source the same item closer and at a more advantageous price.
If you make all of your Alfa buying decisions based upon price alone then you are doomed to some poor quality parts. There is more than one manufacturer of many parts and in my experience cheap parts can cost you more in the long run.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Yeah, it was Ian that I talked to. I asked if they would continue things such as the online tutorials and videos that IAP did for things such as the fuel line replacements and in-tank fuel pump replacement. Those vids were a great resource. He just about made a joke about it. He didn't seem interested. Just because a part is on backorder for a year, is no reason to brush a person off, much less try to get delivery time, or another resource to find the part.

This merger is in the interest of the companies involved, not the customers.

Vince
Rather petulant point of view.

Both companies are in transition. One disappearing and the other taking it over. Companies exist for the benefit of the shareholders or partners. If they don't provide goods and services to an always demanding customer they get to go out of business.

I've dealt with Ian for years and he is a good guy.

·
Registered
115 Posts
That might be true, but not as helpful as my experience with IAP. Furthur, the Centerline folks should be jumping all over the transition and helping out "new" folks who have not purchased much from them. Case in point, IAP's catalog was way easier to order from when it came to replacing control arm bushings, and I was a newbie to Alfa ownership. IAP went far to make sure I had the right part, number, etc.

As for JoeCab, you might not want to take it personally and start really looking at this merger, and what IAP did that you don't and step it up with the company. Either you are going to make it better or worse.

See.... my point is made. You are taking it personally and inwardly. You are more concerned about your company than you are customers. If you were concerned about me as a customer, you would have asked me questions, investigated further, or reached out to me.

Vince

Vince

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
See.... my point is made. You are taking it personally and inwardly. You are more concerned about your company than you are customers. If you were concerned about me as a customer, you would have asked me questions, investigated further, or reached out to me.
I have shifted my business, and a few other people who I have interacted with, to Centerline over the years due to their superior (IMHO) knowledge and understanding of the vehicles I drive over other venders. It is my belief that if someone thinks there is a better vendor for your parts, please go purchase from them instead.

Vince,
it is my opinion that people who fly glass ****pit general aviation aircraft are weak, soft, and just followers of the magenta line who cant think for themselves...

Don't take it personally and inwardly....

>:)

·
Registered
414 Posts
While anyone has the right to comment on our policies or performance, making a personal attack like this is completely unnecessary IMHO.
I translate "goofball" to mean unprofessional.

Maybe it is a generational thing, the "yeah, whatever generation", versus the ones where polite consideration from customer service was the norm.

I've noticed that people passionate about a topic or object, e.g., alfa owners, have little understanding for those who are not.

Also, for those upset by or concerned about the merger of IAP and Centerline please remember that there many other parts vendors worldwide selling the items sometimes a widely varying prices.

My vendor story relevant to this thread was in late July I needed a ATE master brake cylinderf for a 115.01. Contact IAP and told it was on backorder until sometime in September, maybe later, contact Centerline and told it was on backorder and the person I talked to didn't know when they'd get more. Contact Chris at Classic Alfa in the UK and was told that he has many new ones in stock. I order one, it arrived 3 days later. Total cost, parts and shipping to my shop, $74.00. While it is not an ATE, it was made in Italy. Me, happy because it works, it was a good price and I was able to get the car back on the road at least 4 weeks earlier than it I had waited for either Centerline or IAP supply it.

BTW, attached is the specs on the MC supplied by Chris.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
That might be true, but not as helpful as my experience with IAP. Furthur, the Centerline folks should be jumping all over the transition and helping out "new" folks who have not purchased much from them...
For cripes sakes Vince, it's been what, about two weeks? You've got absolutely no call to go on a rant like this. Because nobody's gonna make videos showing you how to replace fuel hoses?

Where's that face palm emoticon?

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Come on, now, Vince. When you dump all over someone's company wouldn't you think it's just a bit of a stretch to then expect him to "reach out" to you? I sure as hell wouldn't but, then, that's why I'm not in the Alfa parts business.

I think the kind of response you're getting to your rant comes from the fact that you're dealing with a community of people who are quite knowledgeable about Alfas and Alfa parts, people who have been dealing successfully with Centerline for many years. Centerline followed by Paul Spruell have been my default parts sources for quite some time. i know Joe personally and have found him to be a friend to all people who love old Alfas. He runs a good company. If I call and he doesn't have a part there are fortunately other vendors, all of whom are within a 3 day deliver time for me, that I can call. Joe's company competes very well with those other vendors.

As others have commented, I've talked to Ian on many occasions and always found him knowledgeable and professional. Working the phone all day ain't easy, yet when I've called at the end of a long day Ian's always been friendly and helpful. He's the kind of parts man who has the inventory in his head so when I say, "I need a ___" he'll immediately know both what it is, if it's in stock, and how much it costs.

Despite your rant, I'm pretty sure that Joe will work to resolve your problem. But, as I said, that's why i'm not in the Alfa parts biz.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have shifted my business, and a few other people who I have interacted with, to Centerline over the years due to their superior (IMHO) knowledge and understanding of the vehicles I drive over other venders. It is my belief that if someone thinks there is a better vendor for your parts, please go purchase from them instead.

Vince,
it is my opinion that people who fly glass ****pit general aviation aircraft are weak, soft, and just followers of the magenta line who cant think for themselves...

Don't take it personally and inwardly....

>:)

Unfortunately the glass ****pit has many drawbacks, including insufficient turn coordinator and slip indicators that are barely readable from the right seat. Thankfully the one I fly has three of the "six pack" instruments that you can easily read from the right seat.
Vince

·
Registered
115 Posts
For all of you folks who are judging me, let me ask you this... Is it fair to have a part on backorder at IAP, and hear Ian tell me over the phone that all backorders from IAP were cancelled? I actually think this is a poo-poo deal from IAP. So you are telling me I should not be a little peeved that my backordered part was cancelled? So you are judging me - from the way I interpret your comments - because I think Centerline could have handled things a little differently?

My point is - if Centerline is scrambling like mad to keep up with all the chaos of this merger, perhaps the deal was hasty and could have been organized a little better.. perhaps they could have taken more time to merge?

I never said I would not order from Centerline. Read my previous posts. I have every right to voice my comments, and I've not personally attacked any company or anybody. I liked IAP and they treated me great. Am I going to get that from Centerline?

Vince

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Dear Cianfichi: Centerline and IAP HAVE NOT MERGED. Centerline ACQUIRED IAP. There is a huge difference. This transaction was accurately described by Joe Cabon the AlfaBB as an acquisition. IAP's business was closed and its parts inventory was shipped to Colorado. Having worked at ReOriginals some years ago, I can vouch that the arrival of a relatively small parts shipment from Italy can cause mass confusion for employees. In this case, thousands of parts, identified with different part numbers, maintained by a different inventory system and packaged for shipment by different employees, show up by the truckload clear across the country....and you're upset because Centerline cancelled a year old backorder generated by another company that no longer exists??

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
So you are telling me I should not be a little peeved that my backordered part was cancelled? So you are judging me - from the way I interpret your comments - because I think Centerline could have handled things a little differently?
Exactly. So they cancelled your back order---big deal. Unless you had money on deposit that you're owed, you had very little skin in the game and Centerline was perfectly correct to draw the line at filling orders for parts that may or may not arrive for IAP customers who very well may have already bought from another of the dozen or so Alfa parts vendors domestic and worldwide who'll happily ship to the 'States. Good grief, just order the doggone part from somebody else!

Even better, just let Centerline find the part for you. Shoot, they may even have it stock . . .

·
Registered
489 Posts
Parts inventories can be a nightmare. I hear about it from my brother.. Different companies/military don't use same programs and systems. Not enough staff are employed to go through and set up a system to get sources and codes on the same page so to speak.... employing a guy to sit at a desk with two, three systems online full time and do the long research. connecting codes and sources (that's a valuable company investment right there).. My brother has been doing this for some time now... Parts for all the NZ Naval ships massive task.....(how the US navy keeps up to date who knows ??)

You need a system that can be open to edit and add additional codes / sources on the go as new ones are found.. With a double check system so accurate files don't get corrupted with mistakes making things worse.. You don't want a staff member who has it all in his head and when he leaves so does the information..

Now there's a guy you want to be nice to at work

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
For all of you folks who are judging me, let me ask you this... Is it fair to have a part on backorder at IAP, and hear Ian tell me over the phone that all backorders from IAP were cancelled?
Yes its fair.

IAP didn't have your part, its not like it was on the shelf and they were waiting to get it for you, your parts didn't exist in this realm, EVER. They didn't sell your part to someone else. You ordered something that didn't exist from a company that also no longer exists. Don't blame Ian for this. I found IAP's parts cheap and aftermarket, I doubt Centerline sells the same stuff at the same price.

I actually think this is a poo-poo deal from IAP. So you are telling me I should not be a little peeved that my backordered part was cancelled?
Correct, you don't have a valid reason to be upset at Centerline in my opinion. Get over it and don't blame the staff at Centerline. I'd blame IAP for closing.

So you are judging me - from the way I interpret your comments - because I think Centerline could have handled things a little differently?
Correct, your expectations of the business world are self centered in my opinion. Their job isn't to make you smile at all costs.

My point is - if Centerline is scrambling like mad to keep up with all the chaos of this merger, perhaps the deal was hasty and could have been organized a little better.. perhaps they could have taken more time to merge?
Nope. The company you order from doesn't exist anymore, thus your backorder doesn't exist anymore. They didn't get married and adopt each other's kids, one ate the other.

I liked IAP and they treated me great. Am I going to get that from Centerline?
Personally? I wouldn't give you the time of day after what you said about my company; however, Joe and the entire crew there has been patient and fantastic with all of my problems (Albeit I was respectful in my dealings) so I assume they will treat you wonderful. I consider those men Alfa friends, and the labor of love they do for the Alfa Romeo owners in the past, present, and future has enabled our cars to keep on driving, so you calling one a jackass might have rubbed me the wrong way.

To make a long story short, the rep was a goofball, didn't seem interested in my concerns, and just a jackass. I do not like the merger and think it will result in poor service and increased prices. Is there a IAP/Centerline rant forum?
Vince

I think your short story has gone a little too long, and perhaps you should start a new thread, rather than bleed all over Joe's announcement thread, about your feelings. It would be easier for all of us. I thank you in advance.

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
Joe, I just got back from vacation and haven't read every post but you have to admit, you saved a big fee from a consultant pinhead who would have put a survey together for you that would not have been as conclusive or comprehensive as this thread. It sounds like you have plenty to keep you busy and a lot of round-tables ahead ...just when you thought you had it all figured out. Good luck and I hope you the best. As a unpaid "consultant", I recommend you issue periodic updates on new products and procedures you are working on. It's always nice to know how the merger is making the business more progressive and the company stronger. Rick

81 - 100 of 146 Posts