Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this...... In the process of an engine swap I went ahead and rebuilt the drive shaft, new center spupport, bearing, U joints on both ends. I didn't notice anything when taking it appart but upon reassembly I noticed that the studs that the center spupport bolt to were not in line, one was ahead of the other. This required me to twist the ceter support to get it to fit which obviously put everything in a bind. They were also about an eighth of an inch closer to the front. This required me to slant the center support to get it to fit. I compared lengths to the other front drive shafts I have and they are all the same so I'm very confident I put it back together correctly. This being the last year of the US GTV's I can't help but think they were getting a little sloppy. Tis a sad thought. Anyway the mounts came off super easy with an air chisel so I'll bolt it up and then tack/weld the mounts so nothing will be in a bind. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this?

(edit).. will have water spray on hand so I won't catch the carpet on fire. I've also found it's much easier to stab the engine/trans back in with the drive shaft off. Putting a large hose clamp around the flexjoint and squeezing it down a tad will allow the driveshaft to slip easily onto the output shaft on the gearbox. maybe that will make someone's life a little easier:)

·
Premium Member
21,162 Posts
I haven't found one out of line, but I've had plenty where a previous gorilla has stripped the threads by overtightening or using the wrong fastener. So this is a good fix for that too.
Andrew

1 - 3 of 3 Posts