Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1979 Sprint Veloce
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to remove the center pod to lube the speedo cable, and it seems to be hung up on something along the bottom. Is there something else besides the 4 screws holding it in place?

·
Registered
82 Posts
There are electrical terminals and wiring for the indicator lights that might be caught. IIRC, the speedometer has to be raised up towards the top of the dash as you pull it out.

There could also be not enough slack in the speedometer cable. If there is some slack in the cable where it goes through the firewall in the engine compartment, you can try pushing the cable towards the interior. If you can get the speedometer out far enough to release the cable from the back of it, then it comes out easily.

BTW, I put in a 74 LED lamp for the turn signal indicator and it was much brighter.

·
Registered
390 Posts
No. I had this same problem, the speedo cable is too short, you need to push it forward a bit from underneath the car if there's not enough slack elsewhere already. Also the connectors for lights and such will most likely catch on the bottom, so you'll have to angle it in a way so they'll clear.

·
Registered
1979 Sprint Veloce
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did the trick. Just needed to push the cable a bit at the firewall. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1979 Sprint Veloce
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No kinks, but quite gunky

·
Registered
1979 Sprint Veloce
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick followup. When reinstalling, the speedo cable was quite loose. It's basically being held on by that thin wire attached to the collar on the instrument cluster. Is there a trick to getting that plastic sleeve on the cable to "lock" to the cluster? I pushed and twisted to no avail...

·
Registered
1979 Sprint Veloce
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bump...

Quick followup. When reinstalling, the speedo cable was quite loose. It's basically being held on by that thin wire attached to the collar on the instrument cluster. Is there a trick to getting that plastic sleeve on the cable to "lock" to the cluster? I pushed and twisted to no avail...

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I suspect it doesn't take much to retain. Haven't worked on one of these myself, but this is not a precision joint. As long as the cable is roughly there, it will work. The spedo cable on my truck is held in by grease and dirt to the transmission. :) Works fine.

·
Registered
1979 Sprint Veloce
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I suspect it doesn't take much to retain. Haven't worked on one of these myself, but this is not a precision joint. As long as the cable is roughly there, it will work. The spedo cable on my truck is held in by grease and dirt to the transmission. :) Works fine.
OK, no worries then :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts