Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to replace the center muffler again on the 'S. (Either these units are of poor quality or my car just likes to destroy them every few years.

This time I thought why not just eliminate the darn thing and have my local shop weld in a straight pipe. Less back pressure and enhanced Alfa music might be nice. Anyone tried this for better or worst?

Thanks,

Don

·
Premium Member
27,383 Posts
My son's S came to him that way and sounded pretty good.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Water in the exhaust is the number 1 muffler killer. Short trip driving, especially in winter, will lead to much shorter muffler life as the combustion gas water condenses inside the mufflers. Usually it is the rear muffler that suffers the most from internal corrosion. Instead of a straight pipe can the hole be patched? Even an empty box will provide some muffling. Obviously with no internal baffles the back pressure will be reduced somewhat!

External corrosion is mostly due to salted roads and stone impacts on the aluminized coating.

These aluminized exhausts are getting to be very durable. My 97 SAAB Aero still has its factory installed system at 225,000 km and 14 years, harsh winters too.

We have only replaced the center muffler once and the rear muffler twice on the Alfa at 200,000 km and 20 years.

·
Registered
573 Posts
You'd all be surprised looking under mine: there's a piece of flexible exhaust where a catalytic converter would be. At the time neither cats or rear seat belts were mandatory in Portugal (!).

Really, lack of use and short trips are the worse thing for any exhaust. Moisture builds up, never evaporates, etc. One day a fisherman said another fisherman (my friend) that he must be making a lot of money, since everything in that 17m fishing boat was made of stainless steel. And he answered "you're the one who should be making the most as you can afford to paint everything every year and replace all the rusted bits every three years!"

So, if corrosion is a problem, consider getting a stainless exhaust. If you see some rust on the outside, try some zinc spray. First thing I coated with it was a garden sprinkler. It's been outside for five years and still looks new.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I just did this on my "S" and it works great, no discernible increase in noise from nominal (actually much less noise since the center muffler had holes) and it was 20 minutes and $40 in a local muffler shop.
Highly recommended.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts