Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:
I need some help. I'm replacing the tie rods on my 78 Spider. 2 of the outside knuckles were bad. So I was just going to replace all 6. Outside ends are done. I can't get the ends on either side of the center link to pop. No leverage and the shape of the idler arms won't allow me to fit on a puller.

Any suggestions? Right now they are soaking in PB while I soak up a beer.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Have you tried hitting them with a BFH?

Loosen the nut, but don't take it all the way off. Give the hub that the tapered shaft goes thru a few good hard hits with a hammer and the shaft will pop out.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
I would add that if you are going to wack the arm, put a large hammer on the opposite side that you are wacking to back it up.
The other method that I have seen work is to back off the nut so that it is flush with the end of the threads, put a block from the arm to the ground and hit the nut with a long shaft from above.....
A Milano torshion bar was used and the joint poped loose on the first wack.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,568 Posts
The one on the drivers side is the hardest to hit in the right place. Turn the wheel such that you get a good arc from the inside. Sometimes it takes two hands on the hammer to get enough umph to hit it hard enough. There is a sweet spot that if hit the first time it will come off the first time but that in my humble experience hardly ever happens. I usually have to hit it in several different places and have hit it even after it's popped off because I didn't have the nut loose enough to notice the arm had dropped down.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
loosening tie rod ends

If you have access to an air chisel, loosen the nut but leave it on. With the blunt pointy tip accessory for the air chisel unit placed into the little divot on the end of the threaded portion, give it a couple of quick blasts. That's all it usually takes.

You can also get a fork adapter for the air tool.

If you do the BFH thing you definitely want to have another BFH backing up the end piece. More energy into the end and less energy wasted just moving the end around.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
$10 pickle fork:

They're done. thanks for the suggestions.

Bought a $10 tie rod pickle fork from autozone. That and a 6 foot section of steel pipe for leverage. they were original parts. Being old and Italian myself, now I understand why they were so stubborn.

Funny thing is I bought the replacements form IAP. the ends looked just like the originals. with new castellated nuts. The centers links are threaded with no tapered shoulder, and used Nylon insert nuts.:cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts