Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1992 164 S - I have my console out and want to clean the window switches, how do you remove the switches from the panel? Or do you open the switches while still in the panel?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
15,855 Posts
The switches just pop out. If I recall correctly, you can first lift the panel up and then pop the switches out from the panel disconnecting the wiring. You can then pop open the switches themselves to spray clean them with electronics cleaner or WD-40 like I used years ago (still working fine). You cut away the thin plastic film inside to get to the contacts. Throw away the film, as all it seems to do is trap contaminants from the contacts as they make contact and perhaps spark slightly.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
A real fine/small common screwdriver to pry them out = they kinda clip in with spring type clips - then the rocker part comes off. Spray the devil out of them then blow dry with comp air or a hair dryer. Reassemble. Test before you re=install. ciao, jc

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another task down

On my '92 164S I want to do as much preventive maintenance as possible and fix the little things that are annoying. Last night it was the center console window switches, clean and refresh.
First get a nice bottle of Chianti, electrical contact cleaner, dielectric grease, can of compressed air, small bladed screw drivers, pick, thick towel and detail brush.
With the switch plate upside down on the towel look closely at the outside edge and you will see two indentations in the lip of the plate, look at the inside edge, next to the opposite switch, you will see the same indentations with one minor difference; that edge is the center spine and is slightly higher than the outside edge. After careful trial and error I found if you put a small blade in the outside edge indentation and apply slight leverage while pressing toward the middle with your other hand the switch will pop out.
Once the switch is out, the top of the switch, the rocker is removed by inserting the small blade along the side just above or below the middle and with very light pressure pop the rocker off. Remove the plastic film (I didn't replace it) and clean out. Carefully reinsert the rocker in the correct orientation, then when reinstalling the switch back into the plate, angle the switch into the outside edge first then snap into the inside edge (center spine).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,996 Posts
You have excellent gravity on that wine and tools don't you?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts