Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas on repair of this? When I had it all apart last year all was good until I went to install the side pieces. The metal bracket that is riveted to the plastic sides got stuck (wasn't careful enough) and cracked the side where they attach.

I've had an add in the classifieds to see if there were any for sale but they must go pretty fast.

Has anyone repaired this? I'm thinking of having a longer bracket made that runs further towards the front and then using black screws to secure it.

Thoughts or other ideas?

·
Premium Member
5,458 Posts
Post a picture of the part - would be easier to visualize the problem. But I think I would, in addition to the extended bracket, use 3M panel bonding adhesive to glue the plastic together. If possible glue another piece of plastic across the back side of the crack as a doubler. Then I would cover the exterior with marine grade vinyl (Joanne Fabric has it) using Weldwood contact cement with a brush (not spray). That will give the thin plastic much strength and it looks nicer than the plastic.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Center Console Bracket

I think I know the part you are talking about.
It is at the base of the console in front of the hand brake. The plastic kick panels are rivetted to the bracket, the bracket bolts to the tunnel. The rivets are a poor design.

I have the same issue with my S2. I drilled out the rivets and will install with screws.
I am told that MEK is a solvent for the plastic. This means that it will act like a super glue to fuse the pieces back together. I would try that and see ifyou can find some other plastic bits that will disolve with MEK and use as a backer reinforcement.

I plan on doing that with mine but have not gotten down that far on my todo list yet.

Please post before and after photos so we can see how it works.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pictures

Thanks for the answers. Here are a couple pictures.

First is the rear-most part of the sides of the console. You can see how the bracket is attached to the left side but broken off the left side.

ConsoleSides(rear).jpg

Second is the front of the drivers side panel. The bracket that attaches there is standing next to it. The plastic cracked and still attached to the bracket.
ConsoleSideLeftFront.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
west system that makes epoxies you want the one called g/flex they made it to repair all types of plastic. You need to follow the instructions about applying hat to the plastic. I've used it to repair all types of plastic panels. You can get it at west marine stores.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I've used a kit from Plastex to make repairs in plastic parts. But a picture would help us offer suggestions.
I've used Plastex, too, and have had great results with it in many applications. It's not a solvent or an adhesive; it becomes part of the plastic and can be built up. I love this stuff.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fixed!

It has taken some time but I finally got into my friend's shop and we pieced together and strengthened these parts.

First pics are of the lower end - away from the dash.
We split the connector that bolted to the trany hump so we could put in place individually and then connect and bolt down.
bk2.jpg
bk3.jpg
bk4.jpg

The final result is good but I did have to cut the bolts marked with an "x" to make room for the throttle.
bk1.jpg

·
Super Moderator
10,108 Posts
I like your fix. We can talk about solvents and adhesives all day long, but nothing holds like a screw. The problem is that after 40 years, the old plastic has the consistency of glass. It has gone from flexible to brittle. So sure, Brand X glue adhesive might be stronger than the surrounding material, but the repaired part will still be prone to fracturing somewhere else.

One question: Will the top part of the console fit down over those round headed screws? The pop rivets weren't ideal - they put a lot of stress on the plastic - but they didn't protrude much..

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They say a picture can say a thousand words. In this case a word "Yes" is backed by 3 pictures. It is pretty good and doesn't look any worse than my other scratches and such in the car.

IMG_0535.jpg

IMG_0536.jpg

IMG_0537.jpg

92 Posts
Console crack

Hi Dekuiper-
I had the EXACT same condition and ended up epoxying the side piece to the metal cross bracket. It seems fine and once everything is bolted back together I'm assuming it'll rest in peace.
What I'm finding, in trying to put all the pieces back in place (plastic panels, cross bracket) is that the perpendicular metal fingers on the cross bracket don't come close enough to the small threaded post welded to the transmission tunnel to be able to bolt it in place. Have you had this problem? I can't push the panels any further forward because the holes in them need to align with the holes in the dropped portion of the dashboard. Can't seem to figure out the geometry on this one. If you have a photo of the panels in place prior to installing the console top (showing the securing of the cross bracket) I'd be forever grateful.

Thanks!

Any ideas on repair of this? When I had it all apart last year all was good until I went to install the side pieces. The metal bracket that is riveted to the plastic sides got stuck (wasn't careful enough) and cracked the side where they attach.

I've had an add in the classifieds to see if there were any for sale but they must go pretty fast.

Has anyone repaired this? I'm thinking of having a longer bracket made that runs further towards the front and then using black screws to secure it.

Thoughts or other ideas?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Dekuiper-

What I'm finding, in trying to put all the pieces back in place (plastic panels, cross bracket) is that the perpendicular metal fingers on the cross bracket don't come close enough to the small threaded post welded to the transmission tunnel to be able to bolt it in place. Have you had this problem? I can't push the panels any further forward because the holes in them need to align with the holes in the dropped portion of the dashboard. Can't seem to figure out the geometry on this one. If you have a photo of the panels in place prior to installing the console top (showing the securing of the cross bracket) I'd be forever grateful.

Thanks!
Mine did come "close enough" to connect although not all the way forward as I would like. I think that perhaps my dash is not pushed all the way forward and sagging a little, thus resulting in having to align the holes in the dash with the holes on the console and pushing the console toward the rear.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts