Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still haven't gotten an answer to what is missing in my toggle switch position.
In the early 80's spyders, with air conditioning, there are positions for four toggle switches just below the clock.
I have: left window, right window, emergency flashers.
But the elusive fourth switch still baffles me.
Any ideas?

Keeth Lawrence
84 spyder

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Hi Keeth,

I do not profess to be an '84 Spider expert, but I used to own a 1981 model. I have found many dash configurations for Alfas. It is possible that that fourth switch opening is just a blank, as was the case in my Spider.

The picture attached to this message is from a 1985 Spider. It appears that this one did not have power windows. It looks like two of the switch openings have been blanked off.

On most Spiders I have seen the hazard switch fills the round hole between the heater controls and the idiot lights. But in this case, it could have been moved down to the area you're looking at.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Here is a picture of the console in the 1981 Spider I owned. From left to right, driver's window, hazard, passenger's window and blank.

Even though both of these Spiders had the round hole for the hazard switch, someone (factory?) moved it down to the area you are looking at.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Here's a 1980 console that appears to be similar to mine. Hazard, ds window, ps window and blank.

I hope this helps.

Ideas for that fourth position? NOS boost , ejection seat (passenger side of course), stinger missiles, stealth mode, etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Hey Keeth:

I have an 84 Veloce that I am parting. It had the red LED clock. The console had four small switch holes. The two power windows and a rectangular hazard light switch was all that was there. No additional wiring for anything else. Fourth hole not filled. My best guess is to agree with Jamie's post. It might have been there w/ anticipation of the final quad hard top that had rear defrost built into the top. I have never seen this stock switch for the defrost, but perhaps a quad or S4 owner could shed some light on this.

John M

·
Registered
131 Posts
It's a filler

Keeth,

I have an '82 Spider Veloce...and can confirm that only three of the four spots are used...the fourth has a plastic filler insert.

There is no wiring for the fourth slot.

·
Registered
207 Posts
My 86 spider has from left to right rear fog light, left pw, right pw, rear window defrost. Maybe the blank is for a rear fog or perhaps the defrost.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all!
I was totally vexed because there is just no wiring for anything in that position. I am sure what you all seem to suggest is the truth. It is a blank, for something that someone dreamed up but it never came to fruition...
Thanks again...

Keeth Lawrence
84 spyder project

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
The '81 owners manual I have shows the position as a blanking plate and no mention of any optional equipment that it may be used for. I think Alfa just bought a standard 4 switch trim plate and didn't have 4 things to put in it. That'd be typical Alfa thinking.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Just when you thought it was safe to write off that fourth switch position . . dunt dunt DAAAHHH.

I found this somewhere on the web. I believe this was from an '81 Spider. It looks like the left spot had a hazard switch. And then there's the "Fasten Your Seatbelt" indicator. First time I've seen one of these.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Great find Kia. Who would have ever known. I have never seen that before. Nifty. I bet that piece is valuable since it must be so rare.

John M

1 - 11 of 11 Posts