Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Center console gauge not working

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  garwood1 
#1 ·
My 73 alfa romeo spider's center console gauge pods ie. Temp, oil pressure and fuel gauge all dont work. There is no change in any of the gauges with or without power or the car running. Before I go ripping them out causing myself alot of pain is there anything I should be checking first.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hiya

A couple of things to check...Fuse 6, power to all gauges. Then the earth connection for all gauges is a 'daisy chain' affair, linking them all to an earth point. The fact that ALL gauges are not working is probably one of these 2, rather than all the individual senders having failed.

#7 ·
Are the grounds just to make the back lighting work? looks like the daisy chain of black wires is grounding the gauge bodies. The pink looks like a hot wire common to all gauges to power the gauge function, but not the lighting? I'm guessing the white with black stripe is the gauge back lighting.

I notice all the "jewel lights" and wiring seems to be missing

#9 ·
So I've currently back tracked the pin wire to the center console lights and I'm getting a tiny amount of voltage on the pink wire. I dont think it would be enough for all the stuff that its powering but I'm no expert. Anyone know how much power I should be seeing on that wire.

#11 ·
Sorry stupid auto correct. I ment pink wire. The car was totalled and never fixed right so alot of the wiring is poor quality. Found the pink wire sliced into another wire off fuse 6 using one of those easy splice connectors which I think is giving bad connection. In the process of fixing it. Will keep you all updated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.