Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What holds the alfa badge on the center bumper of an '83 spider? The badge has two posts on the back of it but I can't remember what holds it on? Also, does anyone know if there is a replacement available for the sliver trim that outlines the center bumper?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,577 Posts
Just glue the emblem in place with 3M Weatherstrip adhesive (comes in a tube, available at most Auto Body paint stores).

For the trim bead, just Google "vinyl piping" or search for it on ebay. Some fabric or marine upholstery stores that carry products for outdoor furniture may have it too.

Buy about 3 feet of the 5mm or 3/16" thick product. You should be able to find it in silver or clear vinyl over silver. I used white on mine (see photos below).

To install the piping cord, just press it into the the slot, starting in the center at the bottom and slowly working all the way around. Trim length to fit.

Both the rubber bumper and piping will each compress a bit to hold the cord in tightly without the need for an adhesive.

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
An alternative material to use for the piping if you want something like the original silver metal material is 3/16" solder. It burnishes and you simply work it into the grove around the plaque.

·
Premium Member
1,937 Posts
I replaced the front emblem on my car a couple years ago, and it was on with these or something very similar. Just something that puts a little friction on the pins.

http://www.summitracing.com/int/search/product-line/oer-emblem-speed-nuts

As for the trim, I used 1/8" aluminum wire which was extremely easy to form. It would fit nice and snug on its own, but for good measure I injected about 5 or 6 small dabs of clear silicone inside the groove first. You can't tell that its not original.

Sure wish I took to time to armour all it before taking the pic
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-1966-up/231769-front-shield-bright-metal-trim.html

·
Registered
82 Posts
The pins are not perpendicular, they are on an angle outward. You have to line up one pin with the hole in the grille then push or squeeze the second pin until it can be pushed in. You don't need glue, the outward orientation of the pins keeps it from coming off and you'll be able to pop it off if you need to.

·
Premium Member
1,937 Posts
The pins are not perpendicular, they are on an angle outward. You have to line up one pin with the hole in the grille then push or squeeze the second pin until it can be pushed in. You don't need glue, the outward orientation of the pins keeps it from coming off and you'll be able to pop it off if you need to.
Don't know if the pins are intentionally askew or as a result of manufacturing issues, however friction is friction, and its supplemented by the two way tape. Mine had mechanical fasteners, as shown in the shop manual (75-9).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Don't know if the pins are intentionally askew or as a result of manufacturing issues.
They're made that way, snapped right into my grill. Also, I have four more that I'm going to mount on my wheel center caps. The hole spacing is at the base of pins not the ends.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
I can't find a auto body supply shop locally or one online that carries the chrome strip. Mine is missing so I can't paint it. I really like the idea of a shiny chrome look.

Anywhere specific they have found it?

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Thanks Tokaydad. I keep forgetting about them. I emailed them also.

I did go to a upholstery shop today. He gave me some free piping. He said they don't use it anymore. It's gray but I might paint it.

He tried to see if he could order it but said they don't make it anymore. The chrome stuff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts