Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new, for me, '88 Spider has the seat belts anchored in between the seats, I haven't seen that on any of the cars I've looked at on e-bay or in person. The holder/guides are on the top-inside of the seats and recievers are on the floor by the back of the door. There's a plastic tray kinda thing covering the mechanical/retractor parts behind and between the seats. I need the driver's side retractor and belt with the metal mounting piece, I think it comes as a unit(?), it's been a few days since I had it apart. I think the guy who put on my new top must have broken it because it was working fine before. Any ideas or comments? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,983 Posts
That doesn't sound like anything I've ever seen either. Can't be the original configuration, can it? Does your package shelf have the plastic shields on the back corners where the seat belt retractors normally are?

·
Premium Member
3,824 Posts
the seat belts anchored in between the seats. There's a plastic tray kinda thing covering the mechanical/retractor parts behind and between the seats.
Sounds like motorized seat belts to me. Found on some Alfa's.

Vin

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Unfortunately you have the 88 only passive restraint system. The retractors are under the rear panel in the center and the anchors are on the outside of the seats, at the back corners. There were motorized runners alongside the outside frame rails (on top of the frame rail carpeting by the doors) and your's may or may not still be present. The Alfa people put in a secondary latch point in the corners in case the passive runners failed, leaving the runner latch point up along side of your feet. Someone may have taken these motorized runners and their tracks out and were just using the secondary latch points as fall back primary latch points.

I pulled all this crap out and replaced with an older 3 point non passive system and still have that passive crap in the garage. Email me what you need (I am assuming from your post you need one center mounted retractor and the center mount bracket). I will sell you what you need cheap.

Robert Hill in Memphis, TN [email protected]

·
Registered
124 Posts
Ditto what vf31rhill said

My '88 passive belts were mostly non-operative. And non-safe. I finally pulled everything and put in 3-point system. I too have passive parts laying around I'd be glad to part with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
seat belt parts

vf31rhill, I sent you a couple of PMs re. seatbelt parts are you still interested in sellling?

·
Registered
554 Posts
OP,
I also have converted my 88 to standard 3 point and have all the passive restraint stuff stored in the garage. If Robert doesn't have it or whatever, let me know what you need and should be able to help you out although if it were me, i would get rid of the passive system especially if non functional and convert to 3 pt but will be difficult and time consuming.

Search for passive restraint in the archives--i posted some photos etc from the conversion process

1 - 9 of 9 Posts