Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Long time lurker first time poster. I purchased a '93 Alfa Romeo 164L (114k miles) a while back and had a few questions. Love it by the way.

My check engine light very randomly appears during my daily commutes. I've attempted to diagnose the error but it seems the diagnostics button doesn't work. My father has a 164 as well and I've tested the button on his and it worked fine. What should I check?

The engine runs very well, only a few complaints. The transmission will slip but this is rare. The car gives off a bad odor at times, I'm guessing the catalytic converter is going. Nothing else out of the ordinary.

So far I've replaced the thermostat and all radiator hoses. All belts appear to be structurally sound but occasionally when starting the car one(?) of them squeals.

I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to car mechanics but my father has extensive experience on the 164 and Milano so I get help and experience in that respect.

Is there anything else you would recommend I check?

Any input or advice is greatly appreciated my fellow alfisti. :D

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
The squeal is likely the serpentine belt that drives the a/c compressor and water pump. Simple to tighten up.

If the auto transmission slips even occasionally, you better get it fixed. Do a search here to find suggestions.

·
Registered
363 Posts
The most common reason for a check engine light seems to be related to the evap system. You could check the gas filler cap for tightness and leaks, but I think you might also search for a leak in the oil vapor transfer lines located right behind the back bank of cylinders directly above the spark plugs. The black can with all the tubes connected is the oil vapor collection cannister. Check for a solid, clamped connection to all the tubes. There is a hidden tube underneath the can.

The intermitent nature of the light might suggest a faulty sensor or some other electrical portion of the CEL system itself.

Take this advice with several grains of salt. I am a novice but did solve a CEL over the weekend. Very satisfying....

-Dan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice I'll check those.

As for the transmission, another thing I've noticed is that when shifting from reverse to drive there is a short delay. Maybe 4 to 5 seconds or so.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts