Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Ce

not sure about the price, but the car looks beautiful - even the seats and the "wood" which is usually cracked on the CE's. I think the seller would do better to put a lower starting price and a reserve, but that is another topic. The engine bay looks magnificent! If I were in the market for this car, I would want to see the car due to the respray, and get the full story on that.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Too much money...

Personally I think people on Ebay are asking too much money for people to buy a car sight unseen. If you go and see the car in person, it might be worth that much to you. However, from that description I don't see how they can justify that price.

At the end of the day, its what the car is worth to you.

Ed

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think it is a fair price if the following unknowns are true - engine and tran without leaks, gauges working and true, mileage true, no leaks from top or other typical areas, all warning lights work and none (like air bag) are on, no rust, door panels in good shape, motor mounts in good shape, muffler in good shape, shifts well, top in good shape, and no strong gas smell.

The interior looks great, especially seats. Cant see the top. My concern is why painted. If faded then probably spent most of its life outside of a garage...thus I would look for faded, stained, problem top. I would also look for rust in and out...in case leaks from rain have damaged over the years. I would start subtracting from the asking price anyting above that needed fixing.

If all was in fair shape then I would pay the aksing price(if I didnt already have one). I think the 94s were the best of all, worth a little extra, and the mileage on this one is very low.

Oh yeah, if if it doesnt have the original commemorative key ring, then the deal is off.:D

·
Registered
6,087 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
No bids yet.

·
Registered
45 Posts
No bids yet.
Like fine wine, It will be snapped up but someone who appreciates fine things and is willing to pay for them. The last time I checked, they weren't making any more (the euro spiders dont even qualify to be considered to be in the same class as the original pininfarina ones..) :)

·
Registered
532 Posts
No chance I'd pay that money for a Spider supposedly that "new" after having been resprayed (wheels, too). I'd bet there's no way it was done properly, either, and you'd likely find overspray, bad edges, etc. Buyer beware at that price.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Really depends on the condition and authenticity of the car. IF it is a #1 car, that price is cheap. A red CE sold last year on ebay for $20,000 with 12,000 miles. Likely, this car is #2 at best in which case it still is slightly on the low end price wise. A respray does present some concern. There are lots of S4 Spiders, but few #1 or near #1 cars. You pay for what you get, and the really nice ones are priced accordingly. Not a great barometer, but here in Phoenix the last few years, nonCE S4 Spiders have sold at auction at $27,500 (yellow with 22K miles, #1 car, bidding war) and $24,000 (red with 50,000 miles). Check out the ALfa for sale on motoringinvestments.com (red with around 7500 original miles for an astounding $29,000).

·
Registered
491 Posts
I believe this same Ce was listed on Ebay last year, but did not sell.

Aside from mechanicals/re-spray, etc, prospective buyers should inquire about:

1 . Ce badges (front, rear, and glove box) - they were painted with cloisonné enamel and prone to flaking (I have mine refinished and then clear-coated to prevent this). These are NLA and if missing, virtually impossible to replace.

2. The leather folio is not the Ce folio, appears to be the non-Ce Spider folio

3. Status of Ce key fob and certificates

4. Status of cloisonné wheel caps - the ones on this spider look good though and are OEM replacements.

All in all, this *looks* to be a nice Ce with low miles. $16k for a well maintained, low mileage Ce is well within the range of what the market generally commands for such Ce Spiders.

Craig

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Craig,

Besides the badging, wood trim interior bits and the folio are there any other differences between a CE and an S-4 veloce?
Also, all condition issues aside do you think there is a price premium for a CE?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Craig,

Besides the badging, wood trim interior bits and the folio are there any other differences between a CE and an S-4 veloce?
Also, all condition issues aside do you think there is a price premium for a CE?
Aldo,

The 94MY Ce Spiders are re-badged late 93MY Spider Veloces with the cloisonné badging (wheel caps, front nose badge, numbered plaque on the glove box), "Ce" script on the rear below "Spider Veloce", CD changer, and wood trim accents in interior. The Ce models were also sold with a special leather folio, numbered cloisonné key fob, and certificate from Alfa Romeo. The VIN # also identifies the vehicle as a Ce model.

Yes, regardless of condition, there is most definitely a premium sought and given for Ce Spiders.

Craig

1 - 12 of 12 Posts