Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Driving to the hardware store yesterday in a heavy rain. On my way to get some pieces to finish off the bumper delete on the 78 Sport sedan.

I noticed the wiper blades were lightly slapping the lower part of the windshield. I thought nothing of it except "I need to adjust the arms when I get a chance".
Well, about 10 minutes later, the wipers just stopped.......still raining hard.
I managed to get to the hardware store and back but not without some puckering and following the fog line.

What I found was the wiper motor was seized. When I went to remove it for inspection, I found all three 6mm mounting bolts in different statesof looseness.......

Opened the motor and the big gear was cracked in numerous places.
Fortunately, I have a parts car so I hiked around back and removed the wiper motor from that car. All bolts loose!!
So, I would advise putting a 10mm wrench on those bolts first chance you get.

·
Super Moderator
11,437 Posts
That's nasty!

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The sad thing is that it was preventable.

·
Super Moderator
11,437 Posts
So your OPENER needs to be titled WARNING! WARNING! Loctite needed!

·
Push hard and live
9,338 Posts
I just bought an NOS Alfetta wiper motor. Mine still works, but is slow. Might have a rebuildable unit available in a while.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
II checked mine this morning, roughly a 4 minute job. They were all snug, except the one in the back. Got 1/2 turn on it. Thanks Pete!

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good to know there will be another motor available. Do the 116 cars share a wiper motor with any other Alfas?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts