Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, thinking of switching catalytic to headers with extension piece to attach sensor sold on Vick’s auto parts web site. Curious if anyone has done the same and any feedback. Too many issues with cat. Have replaced twice, first time don’t think I broke in correctly. Second time, I followed procedures to the t. Continues to sound obstructed and running rough. Any advice appreciated

·
Premium Member
1,906 Posts
My advice is that there's something else wrong with your car and you should figure out what that is before throwing more parts at it. I personally think cat break in might be a myth and anyhow it's only a concern that it could lead to a premature failure down the road. A cat is a simple and reliable piece of hardware with no moving parts. The chances of having two bad ones is extremely remote and it's not like you can install it incorrectly.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,657 Posts
Yeah, if you're melting cat converters, it is probable your engine is running rich, and you need to fix that before you replace the cat again. This assumes the cat is actually bad, which you should verify as that isn't clear from your post.

There isn't any "cat break in" required, BTW: you just drive the car normally.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The cat was purchased new and was noisy the first day I placed in car. I did have an issue that fried the first cat I bought. A partial overhaul was done on the cylinder head and valves by Auto Veloce in Miami. Then I purchased a new cat. Just seems it was defective from the start. Was wondering if anyone has installed the headers that Vick’s auto parts sells with a connection for the sensor?

·
Registered
852 Posts
I have IAP headers going to stainless steel flex pipe. This attaches to the stock center muffler section and then to centerline rear stinger. It adds no extra power but sounds great! The stock O2 sensor is attached to the headers.
Same as sloppyjoe, except he knows how to weld.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I have IAP headers going to stainless steel flex pipe. This attaches to the stock center muffler section and then to centerline rear stinger. It adds no extra power but sounds great! The stock O2 sensor is attached to the headers.
Same as sloppyjoe, except he knows how to weld.

i had a custom metal shop i do business with weld that. no way i could do that nice of a job

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i had a custom metal shop i do business with weld that. no way i could do that nice of a job
Thanks sloppyjoe appreciate the pics as well. So it looks like the header won’t reach the center muffler even with extension provided. Will need a shop to do that. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
620 Posts
Thanks sloppyjoe appreciate the pics as well. So it looks like the header won’t reach the center muffler even with extension provided. Will need a shop to do that. Thanks for your help

nope. from the back of the collector to the rear muffler flange is a odd distance. you will for sure need a shop to weld in some pipe

1 - 15 of 15 Posts