Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a castellated nut that attaches the steering drop arm to the rocker shaft on the bottom of the Burman steering box.

For the life of me this thing is stuck solid! What makes it worse is that the position of the castellated nut means that I can't use a large spanner or a slogging spanner to get it off as this would give me greater purchase on the thing. All I think I can use is an impact socket which it is difficult to maintain a purchase hold with.

HELP!!

I would welcome any suggestions for getting this nut off.

·
Administrator
17,512 Posts
Castellated nuts are meant to be used with a cotter pin (I'm not sure if there is another name for that item in Australia - split pin or clevis pin maybe?). Make sure there isn't a remnant of a cotter pin preventing the nut from turning.

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
I recently fought with this nut as well.

Liberal use of PB Blaster or your favourite other brand of penetrating oil will be helpful. Even clean, there is a serious amount of torque on it (I think somewhere in the vicinity of 100 lb-ft), which makes it difficult to get good purchase on it especially when working on your back with the car on stands. I used a socket on a 1/2 inch drive, and had to get off of my creeper and right onto the floor to muster enough torque.

Once you get it off, you will find that this part is actually much easier than seperating the steering box rocker arm from the Pittman arm. There are lots of post on the board about this, with some claiming that it is impossible to seperate in situ. I was able to do it with PB Blaster, a 900 kg Pittman arm puller (well worth the $20 at any auto parts store), a 1/2 inch drive breaker bar, and lots of patience. I had to leave the puller under tension on the car for a couple of days before I got the Pittman arm to pop off the splines with the addition of a little additional torque.

Good luck!

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
It would take longer to hook up an airgun than it would take for the airgun to remove it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts