Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Spider 78 Spider 84 Spider
756 Posts
two nice old T-birds there too. Maybe legit but would suggest a reputable bonded or licensed broker/importer to handle the details. Or whatever needed to ensure "no car, no money"...

·
Premium Member
22,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't mean not legit, just that paying for it, getting it across the border, registering it, etc. All complicated.
Andrew

·
Push hard and live
10,909 Posts
Some interesting deviations, but has promise as a starting point. The old 2-liter is now old enough that “numbers matching” matters. I’ve promised myself no more 2-liter restos, but depending upon a very close look, it might make sense. At half the price.

Fifteen years ago I flew downth MX to look at a couple of 102 prospects. None measured up on the “unmolested” scale. They’ve got body shops and upholsterers that do good looking, fast, and cheap work down there. Unfortunately, what I saw had no regard for originality, so the first step would be tearing out work that they thought should raise their selling price.

I hope we’re past the time when spiffing up an old 2000 just to have a vintage-looking driver is a thing.

Reactions: ganunez

·
Registered
107 Posts
Beware. I had contact with the owner a couple of months ago and his intention was to find an original drive train and restore it.He was not interested to sell at that time.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I just got confirmation from the owner that the 102 Spider Touring is for sale. Is located in Ensenada, BC.

·
Push hard and live
10,909 Posts
Isn’t that funny? I’ve got a complete, and mostly rebuilt, drivetrain.

·
Premium Member
22,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have an engine and trans. I'm not really looking for projects though.

·
Premium Member
5,792 Posts
No one noticed the automatic shift lever in it?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
No one noticed the automatic shift lever in it?
I know the seller and have talked to him, haven't seen the car though. The car currently has a small block Chevy engine and auto transmission in it. The auto shift lever is form a Mercedes. The seller insists that no metal was cut to install the Chevy engine, and that the rest of the car is quite complete, and it certainly looks that way.
I might be interested in it if I can find a rebuilt engine and transmission at a decent price.

·
Push hard and live
10,909 Posts
I’ve exchanged correspondence with the owner toward the possibility of him finishing the car with original stuff. He told me the engine was a “GM V6”, but we didn’t dwell on that point.

And what is a “decent price” for completely and correctly rebuilt engine, trans, and many related components? I’ve paid as little as $1,500 for an engine core. Trans core? $1,000? That was ten years ago before the cars began to find appreciation in the market.

A thorough engine overhaul (long block only), $6k+. Trans? $1.5k. Carburetors? Depends upon shaft wear, butterfly condition, and corrosion. I’ve seen quotes at $3k. Radiator, rear cross brace, generator, starter, restored shift lever..... the items really add up, and nothing is cheap.

The seller (very pleasant fellow) seemed to say that he thought he should be able to buy a donor car for $6k - $10k. We must assume he meant a car with all of the yet-to-be-rebuilt drivetrain parts. He had spent years looking with no luck.

A couple of years ago I helped a young man sell a rusty but complete project. On the cusp of parts-only or restorable. Successful auction brought $40K. That was probably at the peak of the now softened boom, but suggests a complete “donor car” is probably forever well above $6-$10k.

I suggested to the owner That a realistic price for the ready-to-use parts to complete his car wouldn’t be less than $10k and more likely $20k. Quite possibly more than that.

So, what’s a “decent” price? One that is decent to both buyer and seller, or one requiring a foolish seller?

As the current owner noted, he spent years looking within a price range. The car sits, undriven.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts