Premium Member
26,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Attachments

·
Registered
624 Posts
+1

Here's a short blurb that I wrote about this book for the May 2017 ARA Overheard Cams:

Most of us will never know what’s it like to drive an 8C-2.3, a 1930 6C 1750 Zagato (on the cover) or a Disco Volante, much less own one. Jackson Brooks has owned, restored, and driven those and many other classic Alfas. He also owned Ferraris, including a 250MM Barchetta, and other great cars from famous marques. In the 1960s when he started collecting, these cars were beautiful and expensive exotics; today they are still beautiful, but their values are now out of reach to all but the very, very wealthy.

Being a successful small businessman Brooks had the wherewithal to establish a one-man repair shop within his company’s factory to repair and restore these cars. He shares stories (and photos) about each of the cars. One point he makes about these cars was that their engines were just that, engines without computers or electronics. A skilled, well, a highly skilled mechanic, could work on them. His cars were not trailer queens; he enjoyed driving them and describes their differences.

At the urging of his son-in-law he wrote this book long after his collecting days were over. I am glad he did.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Nice article Steve and it looks like an interesting book Bob. I've been fortunate in a lot of ways; however, the book by Mark would include cars that I looked at but unfortunately didn't buy:

1.) In 1980, Don Voyles, the neighbor from whom I bought my first Alfa Romeo, a 1974 spider, asked me to come over and see what he brought home from the Voyles family dealership. This time it was an A/C Cobra in an enclosed car carrier. We later found out, in 1999, that it had raced as a factory sponsored 'team car' at the famous 24 hour race in Le Mans. It was 'only' a 289, for $18K; which was all the money in the world to a 20 year old with a $4,200 car note! Nearly priceless today, worth several million.

2.) In the mid 1990's a friend gave me information about a red 246 Dino GTS 'chairs and flares' car. Two test drives and a Pre Purchase Inspection later, I offered 60K and walked away; 3K shy of a deal. It was amazing how fast these cars went to 300K, 400K...+

3.) Also in the early and mid 1990's an acquaintance had a Miura. When I first saw it, it was as 'rough as a cobb'. Later after an engine rebuild (donor block), paint and interior restoration, it was magnificent! The owner mentioned he was thinking about selling it and when asked said "about 70K". Maybe 1.5 -2M today...

If you think you shoulda, coulda, woulda; you oughta!

Mark

·
Premium Member
15,534 Posts
Been there, same situation. Had the chance back in the early 70's to buy a very nice used Ferrari Lusso for $6000, a clean SWB Berlinetta for $5000, and a pristine GTE 2+2 for $3000. Passed on all. Excuse was that I said I knew, from watching Carlo work on and repair such cars, just how much it would take to keep them running. And, if I had bought one of them, I knew I wouldn't have been able to withstand not driving it as a dd instead of putting it on jackstands as a future investment.

Well, I was young then, and a little afraid of them, rationalizing that an Alfa (and I already owned a beautiful fun to drive Giulia Sprint GT) was as close to an Italian GT as I should reasonably get, lol.

Now, what are they worth?

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Well, nothing as fancy as those mentioned already, but when I read or talk about stuff like this, it's hard to think about unloading my 93 Mustang.

If he only knew, my father would have his 57 Chevy and 68 Charger. Either one would be fun for us to tinker with.

The Mustang may never be that popular, but it's very clean, is a big part of my youth (from 19 years ago), and would be very hard to replace in kind.

But the 2018 Mustang sounds pretty sweet!

Some of that other stuff mentioned could be tough to drive like I prefer to!>:)

·
Premium Member
15,534 Posts
Yeah, I could easily see you ratting around in that Charger, lol.

·
Premium Member
4,031 Posts
In the late 80's I could have bought a GTC for 1700.00. But didn't know what a GTC was. I thought the kid that owned it had cut the roof off.

I won't even bring up the different Ferrari's and Lamborghini's my Dad had in the 70's. All of them are now high 6 figures to multiple 7 figure cars today. All but the Dino were bought for less the 6000.00 each including the shipping from Switzerland to Jacksonville.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Yeah, I could easily see you ratting around in that Charger, lol.
I went to the hospital in the womb in that car, and came home in a Buick wagon. :frown2: Prices on the 68s are now a bit out of range.

There's often a fine line between what seems responsible/sensible vs being too responsible/sensible. Probably wouldn't have changed much if he had the Charger. Only would have bumped the Mustang out of the garage about 18 years later.

Storage is my problem now. The Mrs likes her garage spot.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I know two people who sold a total of three 1964 Ferrari GTO cars in the $3K range long time ago. I told both of them that they should have kept those cars because they are good looking cars. I should have bought a 1953 Ferrari 340 Mexico Spider in 1974 for $4.2K or bought a 1960's Ferrari in 1977 instead of my new 1977 Alfetta Sedan.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Makes me wonder what these folks thought of these cars at the time. Too much to deal with? Just not that great?

The classic American hardware maybe a different story. My father laughed tonight when we talked, that the Chevy was cool, but the front brakes used to lock up without warning. I'm sure both that and the Charger had corrosion issues as well.

·
Premium Member
15,534 Posts
"Storage is my problem now. The Mrs likes her garage spot" Yeah, I know what you mean, Barb likes her Milano being in the garage, while the 91S stays in the carport.

"Makes me wonder what these folks thought of these cars at the time"

My friend was able to pick up the Ferraris I looked at and drove cheap in Italy in the early 70's because the Italians just didn't care for used Ferraris, and they were pretty inexpensive to buy and ship to Seattle. I do not know if the cars I considered are still around.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
I know two people who sold a total of three 1964 Ferrari GTO cars in the $3K range long time ago.. I should have bought a 1953 Ferrari 340 Mexico Spider in 1974 for $4.2K or bought a 1960's Ferrari in 1977 instead of my new 1977 Alfetta Sedan.
Thanks Kuni, I feel much better about my indecision!

A friend who had purchased a very rusty 250 Cal about 40 years ago in Argentina, put it in storage for 30 years. The car recently underwent a concours restoration for at least 10 years (and 700k!). Eventually as the restoration neared completion, the car was sold. The new owner gracefully let my friend drive his 'old' car down the road -a quarter mile & back before taking possession.

Makes me sad to think; he would have given me this car for free but only in my dreams...
120919 0084 Cal finish Tx.jpg

Mark

·
Premium Member
26,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am lucky the two 164s - BB2 and BB1 or whatever other car I am working on at the moment gets the garage until winter then one 164 has to stay outside so ML can get her 09 Bu inside.

Yesterday it was BB2 and daughter's 02 Taurus (in for motor mounts). She has BB1 again now for her daily driver.

Today it is BB2 -164S and BB4 to be in for tinkering.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I have a friend who did not buy a 1958 Ferrari Testa Rosa for $20K but, did buy many expensive cars years ago for little money. I have many friends who sold their cars for good money at the time and maybe should have kept them. I do not think that anyone could predict the future price of classic cars decades ago. I think that what you have today is what counts.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
I totally agree with you on that and feel fairly fortunate.

It is safer to drive while looking forward out the front windshield and not in the rear view mirror too. We can't even comprehend where a 250 Cal, GTO, SWB, Lusso, C or D-type, F-40, F-50, 8C, (old or new),T-33, SZ, TZ, Montreal,... etc. will be in 20-30 years!

Jim, too bad he did not build a little hanger like John Murphy had, just to keep them all stored together in!

Mark

·
Premium Member
4,031 Posts
This is the only one of my dad's cars I have a picture of loaded in the computer. One of the first 175 Lamborghini's made.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
"Storage is my problem now. The Mrs likes her garage spot" Yeah, I know what you mean, Barb likes her Milano being in the garage, while the 91S stays in the carport.

"Makes me wonder what these folks thought of these cars at the time"

My friend was able to pick up the Ferraris I looked at and drove cheap in Italy in the early 70's because the Italians just didn't care for used Ferraris, and they were pretty inexpensive to buy and ship to Seattle. I do not know if the cars I considered are still around.
I have three cars I drive regularly and a single garage. My neighbours will swear up and down that my garage is a double. But I have a wife who also has one car. I have a single garage....

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
The lambo's were very special GT cars. A friend of mine recently completed restoration of an Islero, the next model Lamborghini after that one. They are great cars and under appreciated for their practical supercar abilities.

·
Premium Member
4,031 Posts
That is a cool Lambo Jim. I understand you were quite a Borrani wheel cleaning expert in your younger days; is that you?
Yeh. I wish I could afford a Ferrari with wire wheels. So I could make my kids suffer like I did.

My Dad had a 73 bought new in 74 Dino with the targa top. I still have the receipt for it. It was 16,900.00 with the discount for it being a 73.

I was a cool car. He sold it before the first big service. As it was around 1500.00. The dealer basically took the whole engine and resealed it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts