Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,634 Posts
Hey Gene - thanks for posting that, though it is bad news. I had heard this was coming and it was confirmed on Jalopnik (and no doubt, other sites) earlier this week.

I'm curious where you found the memo that you posted? Looks like something the C&C volunteers will be handing out on Saturday.

Since this coming Saturday is GTV-6 day, I expect we'll have a good Alfa turnout. I plan on being there with my "GTV-4".

The next question: How can we replace Cars & Coffee Irvine? Few businesses or malls will want the liability, trash, security expense, ...

·
Premium Member
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jay:

Yes this is bad news for sure.

My wife has a family only facebook page and she subscribed to cars and coffee in an attempt to help me make sure I don't miss special days. So she forwarded it yesterday.

I've been thinking that even if it cost a buck for entry and five bucks to show your car it would cover costs if that was the real issue. I don't know that it is, I'm just thinking along those lines. But others may not agree. I've always thought it was unbelievable that such a wonderful get together exists for no cost. Ford, Mazda and Taco Bell have been great corporate hosts for sure. I mean that parking lot has to take one heck of a lot of abuse from the number of people walking through there, right?

To me the hardest thing is they can't attempt to move this venue too far out of the area. Pomona fairgrounds for example. It is too far for too many and that might work for an annual or semi-annual event like the Best of France and Italy in the SFW but that won't work for a weekly or even monthly venue. So the biggest issue has to be where to find a spot in town that is along the freeway and doesn't bother the residents.

I don't know any of the organizers but they have to be pretty tired of trying to deal with all the issues that have been coming along as the venue has grown so dramatically. But if the cost of paying for some help to keep things in line is an issue perhaps that could be dealt with but it still leaves the big issue of where to have the venue?

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
If you have ever been to the Donut Deralicts Sat. get together in Huntigton Beach you would see that all is needed is a compliant property owner.
They have no security, no cops, no clean up and have been meeting for longer than C&C !
Maybe we should just move over there....

·
Premium Member
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well today was a big day at C&C Irvine for sure. Like about 2x a usual big Saturday. Hopefully next Saturday will be a nice last day to what is ultimately not the last chapter for C&C Irvine.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Checked out the pics of Tustin, was that a Vista Cruiser and a V8 CanAm racer I saw? :)

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Checked out the pics of Tustin, was that a Vista Cruiser and a V8 CanAm racer I saw? :)
That's actually a Buick Estate wagon, but close enough :balloon:

Looks like the Tustin gathering has potential. Now I need to find a ride to show up in...

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
There's a C&C in Malibu this Sunday. Takes place every 2 weeks: Malibu Cars and Coffee
It got mixed reviews on another forum but I plan to ride out there this weekend. Helps that it's about a 25 minute ride through some nice twisties.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Tirefriar, did you (or anyone ) end up going to the Malibu C&C?
I am curious to hear feedback, as I am interested in trying to go the next weekend it's scheduled. It's much closer than Irvine, and looks like a great location.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Tirefriar, did you (or anyone ) end up going to the Malibu C&C?
I am curious to hear feedback, as I am interested in trying to go the next weekend it's scheduled. It's much closer than Irvine, and looks like a great location.
Thanks!
Last one was cancelled due to bad weather conditions. The next one is on March 15th...but I'm going to Uriah Heep & Blue Oyster Cult concert on the night of the 14th so most likely will have to be the one on the 29th.

·
Registered
39 Posts
There is a replacement for the Irvine location posted on their site.
Looks like a pretty good location(with lots of room to grow)and the turn out was decent for the first day with little promo.

https://www.facebook.com/candcav/timeline
This one at Aliso Niguel has been getter bigger every week.
Huge lot, no issues and a coffee/breakfast spot on site.

·
Premium Member
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I made my first trip to the new location in Aliso Viejo this morning. I noted the following for those of you who may have not been there yet:

1. They seem to start a bit later. I got there about 7:20 and by that time at the old venue things were jam packed. But at Aliso Viejo things didn't seem to really start getting busy until closer to 8.

2. Today's show was in my estimation about 1/4 the size of a typical day at Irvine. AT least by the time I left about 8. A similar mix of cars I think.

3. I wasn't sure where to park so I picked a spot out away from the cars lined up but by the time I left I was only one or two rows from the "show" cars. I need to check the map more carefully next time.

4. Maybe it was me but I thought the feel was definitely different. I can't really put my finger on it but there seemed to be a higher number of "casual" car people vs. "hardcore" care enthusiasts. Maybe just me or maybe just today, but that's what I thought anyway.

Nice to have a new venue for sure though!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Aliso show was almost as big as the Irvine location last week. Huge turn out. I'd bet by the middle of summer it will be as big as Irvine was. Also spotted a couple of the founders of the original Irvine show in attendance and some pretty special cars. Always a number of Alfas too.

·
Super Moderator
10,634 Posts
but there seemed to be a higher number of "casual" car people vs. "hardcore" care enthusiasts. Maybe just me or maybe just today, but that's what I thought anyway.
Yes, I had the same observation. I discussed this with one of the guys who had organized C&C Irvine - he attributed it to Ford's ability to reserve spaces for specific cars in that small, front lot. Some weeks the Woody club would be there, some weeks it would be early Ferraris, and some weeks it would be Alfa Romeos.

Aliso Viejo doesn't work that way; it's completely unregulated and unplanned. Not that I'm complaining - Aliso Viejo is better in some ways, such as not needing to arrive at 5:30 am to get a space.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts