Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
not sure what I'm looking at...your link just shows another car Bulletin Board type forum on the internet....which is what we have here on Alfa BB if folks would pay attention to the Capital area section

what am I missing here?

·
Registered
824 Posts
find a venue and it can happen!

we've got car clubs around (not that they interact very much right now)
who could kick things off...

·
Registered
824 Posts
DCALFA:

why don't you get the ball rolling....maybe start with an Alfa cars/coffee meeting once a month since we've got an email list we can use, we're making more improvements to the DC Chapter website, we've got the Convention coming up...all good signs for participation & enthusiasm..... see if some folks respond then expand to Fiat, MG clubs etc....

·
Registered
824 Posts
well, hopefully the temperamental car can be sorted out...cats, dog, wife and kids another story.

problem with DC area is that there's no natural "cruise in" places, like drive ins etc....also things are a bit more "high-society" than in many communities...

Ferrrari/Maserati of Washington (out near Dulles) used to host a fair number of events that Alfa people could come to but they've changed ownership and personnel, and don't seem interested in doing much these days.....

I don't see other dealers stepping up....they want to sell new cars and don't see the value in "heritage" events. To some degree they are right in not putting a lot of $$ into the vintage crowd..... not much ROI for them.

I guess that's why the car clubs are so important to the vintage owner...there's no alternative. I think the AROC local club does a pretty credible job for the Alfa crowd....I joined about 4 yrs ago and now have 2 Alfas and get involved in some of the organizing
work. But, there's so many things competing for everyone's time these days....kids, soccer, business functions, school, oh...work too.

hopefully you can get to one of the local events at some point....

·
Registered
824 Posts
for quickie meet-ups of small groups, the Starbucks/ chic-fil lots are fine; the difficulty is with anything sizable, or if it becomes a regular public event (like Coffee & Cars); there are liability, safety and crowd "loitering" issues. I have a feeling that the Irvine group started informally, then got in trouble, probably with some police & safety issues and Ford (I think) bailed them out by providing approval to use their lot and making sure there was some kind of police presence (referenced in the Irvine info)

I would be ecstatic if you could find a company to sponsor a general meet-up in the DC area;

With Alfa Club events, liability is a minimal issue as insurance coverage is part of AROC membership...part of the dues we pay.

If you've got an Alfa, I'd recommend you sign up just for that benefit alone.....plus the National Convention in Frederick in June, plus some pretty good events thru the year.,...

If you're already a member, perhaps you might pick up where you left off ("never followed through.....") and pull something together.....How about it?

·
Registered
824 Posts
absolutely happening every Sat a.m. 7:00 - 9:00 center of Great Falls,

Great Falls is 6 miles from I-495 –DC beltway, Exit 44, Rte 193 west. The event is in the nicely-set parking lot at Katie’s Coffee in the village center just off Georgetown Pike (Rte 193), Katie's is located behind BB&T Bank (which is directly on Rte 193) and next to The Old Brogue Restaurant.

we've had GTV,s Giuliettas, 70's-80's spiders, 2600 spider

a different mix every Sat

if you see my red GTV or gray 2600 say hi... not sure if i'll be there this Sat...

David

Attachments

·
Registered
824 Posts
every sat til Late Oct I believe...last 2 saturdays had a huge turnout... parking lot was overflowing...a veritable car show without entry forms or admission fees.There had to have been close to 80 cars

I think we had 6 Alfas or so, a few vintage ferraris as well as the new ones; previous Sat there was a pristine Iso Grifo.... in the past there's been pre war Bentley, Aston Martin v8s. Typically lots of Porsches, cobra replicas, lotus, Vettes etc....60's American
etc.

the mix is different every Sat

David

·
Registered
824 Posts
C& C hasn't started yet....BUT the Alfa club is doing the first drive and car get-together of the year on Sunday March 6..... assemble in Potomac 11:00 and back roads drive to Buckeystown for a great lunch and "car corral"....w/ return drive

more info: shoot me an email: Drive

David

·
Registered
824 Posts
For those of you who are AROC Capital Chapter members there's a drive & brunch this Sunday. Leaves Millersville MD (WaWa on Rte 3) @ 10:30 a.m.and goes to Deale MD, to have brunch on the bay. also return drive. good roads & expected good turnout of Alfas.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Hi ;
don't wish to hijack the thread but since there's so many folks interested in Alfa-related events, we wanted to announce that our DC,MD,VA and SO. PA Alfa events will be posted on the new DCALfas-BB forum: DCALFAS- Alfa Enthusiasts of DC, MD, VA

Event announcements will be sent by email as well: you can sign up here DCAlfas.org

There will be at least 4 "winter" driving events (non-competitive) starting Sunday Nov 20 with one each in Jan, Feb & March. (Most experts say its preferable to do an extended drive with your Alfa at least every 30 days, than to lay it up for the winter).

DCAlfas also publishes a free e-journal with Alfa news, historical info, tech and other articles.

Attachments

·
Registered
824 Posts
For DC,MD, VA etc. Alfa folks:
March edition of DCAlfas E-Journal (newsletter) now available. Click on link below to request.
Alfa Appassionato

This month's topics include:
• Our Readers Respond On FIAT and Alfa U.S. Introductions
• DCALfas Releases New Publication: 2012 Nuts & Bolts Guide to Alfa Resources 1.0
• Tech Tips: Oil Pressure Problems & Solutions
•Combined FIAT/Alfa Drive and Pig Roast

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.