Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently did a drive line rebuild (engine, transmission, flex joints, carrier bearing, etc.). With a little under 2k miles, the new carrier bearing broke apart. I am at a loss as to why that would happen save a manufacture defect. Is there any other reason why it would fail? I appreciate any input you might have. I am reluctant to replace it only to have it fail again in 2k miles because of something else that might be wrong.
Thanks,
Ken
1959 Alfa Romeo Cast Iron 2 Liter Spider

·
Push hard and live
10,463 Posts
Jay might have some personal experience to share, but the only items I can imagine would be a significant imbalance, misalignment, or mis-assembly. If you had no vibrations, you can more or less rule out the first one. Did you reassemble the front and back half of the drive shaft with the alignment marks matching? That is to ensure balance. Did you experience any difficulty during assembly? That would be a hint.

I have not done this particular repair, although I have had my drive line in and out several times. It's easy enough to reassemble. So, I would look first at whether you assembled the bearing into its carrier correctly.

Good luck

·
Registered
167 Posts
Like Don, I'd say check:

Alignment of the markers creating 'wobble'
Needing to ensure its all fitted as a balanced (spun) unit
LOADS of grease everywhere you see a nipple
Check the quality of the two rubber donuts, its possible they are cracked and you can't see it.
Oil seal damage between gearbox and propshaft?
Worn UJ or its cork gaskets
More dramatic, and less likely but... if the rear suspension rubbers/ silent blocks are worn, particularly the centre 'A' frame rubber - it could create movement you dont want

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
hi ken
I had the same problem,when I replaced with another new one I noticed the centre bearing was slightly out of line,too far forward,I removed the bearing and made sure it was on the wright way,it was and the only way I could get it to fit was to have the aluminium bearing housing machined deeper so it sat further back and was in line.It has been fine now,so I can confirm alingment is crucial.Good luck.chris

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Is this the one I showed you how to remove?

Ken, I seem to recall that you came over because your mechanic had destroyed the aluminum carrier for the bearing, and I showed you how the carrier bearing is NOT supposed to be pulled off the short shaft by pressing or pulling on the housing. In fact the housing is pressed the other way (towards the front) off the bearing and then the bearing is pressed off to the back. In assembly the housing is put around the front short shaft and then the bearing is pressed up to the shoulder seating on the shaft, and then the aluminum housing that had been pre-placed loose on the front shaft is pushed back onto the bearing. Did your mechanic careless put it in backwards after you had to ask me for the replacement aluminum housing -- after he ruined the first one trying to take the bearing off by pressing on the aluminum housing? That carrier would line up nicely and put no strain on the bearing if put in right. It makes everything fit right if the bearing is the right one and put in right. Perhaps your mechanic didn't pay attention to you despite you telling him about my instructions, got the aluminum housing backwards and damaged the bearing trying to undo it. Or maybe he did not change bearings after damaging it by pulling on it wrong the first time. These drivelines are NOT rocket science, but you have to look how they fit. Jay.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts