1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
Often it's easier to cut the roof off, build the cage, then replace the roof, that to try to squirrel a new cage through the doors. So that's what they did. I saw the car just after the roof was rewelded on and really, it was just the tiniest seams on the pillars to give away that anything at all had happened. Really nice work at Jim Groom's place.
This was common on race GTVs back in the day, I recall.
Andrew

·
Registered
415 Posts
D*MN - looks like the cage work was time well spent.

Posted on their blog, 10 mins. ago:

No text - assuming everyone is OK(?).

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They did stay running after their off-road excursion - their paint job now looks like the one on my Land Rover 109 - and after facing a few electrical challenges. They placed 5th in class, 30th OA out of 107 competitors.

They did manage to keep the shiny side up, even though they created some carnage down below ...

http://lacarrerapanamericana.com.mx/sites/default/files/resultados_absolutos_pana_2011.pdf

BTW, the Taxi has run the Carrera 5 times. 3 times with Martin & Conrad who place 2nd in class in 2009, 1st in class in 2010 and 5th in class this year.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Studebakers - they are the top contender for an overall win - they run a full NASCAR engine , front & rear NASCAR suspension, 6-pot brakes front, 4 pots rear. In the earlier events when they still had a really long high speed stage w/ a slight downhill slope where the fastest Studebakers would reach a top speed of over 210 mph (for comparison in our Giulia TI in 2008 we hit 149 mph on that stage). This stage is no longer and for the first time this year, the Studebakers and the rest of the fastest class are now electronically speed limited to about 150 mph. They are aerodynamically slippery, they are light - so light that they need to put in ballast and they can redistribute the weight at will ... and they have the right wheelbase for the roads on the Carrera - not too long and not too short.

What does continue to surprise me is how well a Giulia Super/TI can do against 911's on the event. The slippery shape in combination with predictable handling is probably responsible for that. A 911 is not an easy car to drive in an open road event unless you are a pro like Walter Rohrl. At the same time, the 911's in the event are usually very seriously prepared - they are allowed to run either 2.2 or 2.4 engines. A Giulia in Historica A plus is allowed to run a 2 liter.

Interesting that 6 of the top 13 cars (including the overall winner) were Studebakers... really?!?!

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Thank you for the explanation.

Regarding your Giulia Ti... were you hitting 149mph with a 2 liter?!?! Wow!!! Downhill or not that's really fast in a Ti :eek::eek::eek::D:D:D.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts