Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to fit my 86 Quad with the faired in headlights like/from Duettos. They look so cool - why are'nt they more popular?

What are the downsides to their installation - other than cost?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think by 86 that the outer edge of the headlamp recess was rounded off and they don't fit properly.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Hey GG:

The carello covers will not fit on a stock Spider that is production year 83 or later for a few reasons.

1. Headlight cutout cone that is infront of the headlight is more rounded off in the corners and appears to be slightly different in dimensions as compared to the 82 and previous spiders. End result is that the covers won't fit flush to the fender.

2. In the later spiders, fender well is missing the mounting bolts that are welded into place to mount the headlights from inside the fender well

3. In the later spiders, front tire wells do not have the access panel to install the headlights inside the fenders.

Now all of that is easy enough to fix with some time with a good body man, but they will not fit correctly with out fixing the nose to match the 82 and older Spiders. If you are in the body shop...you can make it work and look great.

Here is Alfabb member Mike Mlotkowski's car where he did it and came out looking nice.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Premium Member
3,746 Posts
Carello headlight covers

The information regarding the headlight recess change on later spiders is correct; I have the Carello covers on my '76 but, just yesterday tried an old cover on my recently purchased '91. In addition to not having mounting slots in the body to hold the pegs on the rear of the cover, the recess contour has changed more than is visually apparent. The headlight cover contour appears to fit, but the inside edge is at least one inch short of matching the body at the edge of the bucket. Since the recess is larger than the Carello cover, I suppose a bodywork modification could achieve the installation but it might be fairly expensive. Further, the inner fender cover on a '91 is larger and more complicated than the older cars, and this might be a real pain to remove to install the headlight units from the rear.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Hey George:

Welcome to the board. I will certainly look forward to your comments and expertise. What do you have in store for that newly acquired 91? You should start a thread on tuning and suspension tips for the old 2L Spider of yours as I have seen you and Dee run that little rocket!

Best Regards,
John M. Duncan

·
Premium Member
3,746 Posts
91 Spider

Hi John,

The silver '91 Spider Veloce we bought last year is to be a fair weather daily driver, while the red '76 Spider will remain an autocross / Solo II car. Dee has volunteered her '00 Jetta as the rain & snow transportation, and has even given up her side of the garage to the silver spider (this means I warm up the Jetta and scrape ice on her command).

Changes for the '91 will be relatively few; I added a Squadra Chip, and will need to replace rear suspension bushings to cure a squirrely handling problem. I am trying to get a "paint pen" color match from PaintScratch.com; they don't list the Grigio Chiaro Mettalic color, but I found a link to this color from their website and am waiting for a response.

The '91 has quite a lot of cowl shake, and I am planning to bring an Eriminus chassis stiffener back from the New Hampshire AROC convention. Maybe a new set of tires next year, and a new top with a zip out rear window. And... I have a spare Shankle front sway bar that might find it's way onto the car. I am very pleased with my Series 4 Spider; it certainly has been upgraded from the rubber floor mat versions of my '76 and previous '71, and I am looking forward to many happy miles (it had 35,800 when we brought it home).

I would be happy to discuss modifications to the '76 Spider. What do you have in mind?. Also, Eric Stohok and I have had a lot of correspondence regarding autocross modifications on the alfa digest, and he has started a list on the alfa racing digest for alfa modifications.

Regards,

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Hey George:

Good to hear and congrats on the new ride. I got my 92 back in July. You should be scraping that ice for Dee!

There is little doubt that you are the king of stickyness. I would bet if we slapped your 76 spider on the ceiling, it would hang there like a tree'd cat. I would be interested in hearing what you feel that works and doesn't work in regards to suspension/chassis tuning.

On another topic, how do you like the squadra in the 91?

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
168 Posts
91 spider

I tought about putting light covers on my spider becouse they look so cool. But with the differant shape I was going to carve new lens shapes that fit the cutout and vacuform lenses that would fit my spider. The only problem is the outer edge of the cutout is rounded so I may have to do some body modifications.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Carello Covers

Does somebody have a sort of step-by-step instructions how to install the covers?
I own a 81 Spider!
Thanks in advance

HJM

·
Premium Member
3,746 Posts
International Auto Parts has a Tech Bulletin for headlight cover installation on their website. However, they only say to "Remove headlight from front. Re-install headlight from inside the fender well". Spiders, up to a certain year, actually have three little rearward facing threaded studs welded at the back of the headlight area. I have done the installation on a '71 and '76 Spider, and both of these required mounting holes to be drilled at the outer edge of the headlight bucket for it to be fastened to these existing studs (IIRC, the metric nuts to hold the headlight buckets to the studs don't come with the cover kit). Also, before you can access the area behind the headlight, the big barrier panel at the front of the wheel well must be removed. This isn't hard, but you will probably find lots of road grime which will find it's way onto your body.

Does somebody have a sort of step-by-step instructions how to install the covers?
I own a 81 Spider!
Thanks in advance

HJM

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi George

I haven'ty had a chance to look at the fender from the inside yet, but ... is the barrier welded or bolted in place?
Thank you for the prompt reply.

Let's hope that I will find the time to install the covers!They definetely look good!

HJM

·
Premium Member
3,746 Posts
The barrier is bolted in place. It's a sheet metal panel with a rubber gasket around the edge. It is somewhat of a pain to remove since the rubber gasket must be maneuvered past the side marker light. Again, not a real problem, just a lot of dirt. Good luck with your headlight cover installation. The result is worth the trouble.

Hi George

I haven'ty had a chance to look at the fender from the inside yet, but ... is the barrier welded or bolted in place?
Thank you for the prompt reply.

Let's hope that I will find the time to install the covers!They definetely look good!

HJM

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I have done the installation on a '71 and '76 Spider, and both of these required mounting holes to be drilled at the outer edge of the headlight bucket for it to be fastened to these existing studs (IIRC, the metric nuts to hold the headlight buckets to the studs don't come with the cover kit).
FWIW, the studs almost lined up with existing holes on the headlight bucket on my car. Two would go in, and the third wouldn't quite. I had to enlarge one of the holes. And George is correct, those nuts don't come with the kit. I don't remember offhand what size they are, but they're rather small.

Also, IIRC, before mounting the buckets behind the fender, there's an ear (used for attaching the US trim ring) that needs to be cut off.

Or you could look for the Euro headlight buckets. I'd love to have a pair of those but haven't really looked very hard.

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
i traditionally like to keep everything 100% stock. my only modifcation was the radio.

·
Premium Member
15,009 Posts
I recently made the change to Carello covers on my 79 Spider while it was in the body shop for paint, shaving the repeater lights from the fenders, etc. I printed out John M's instructions from an old thread and gave them to the guy at the body shop. It looks like they had to drill extra holes or enlarge the existing ones in the buckets to align the mounting studs.
Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
2 x 88 Verde's

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
is the issue of water getting inside them a problem?

·
Premium Member
3,746 Posts
The only problem is that water entering behind the cover leaves dirt when it runs out, which requires removing the cover to clean everything. I put a narrow strip of self adhesive foam around a set of covers a while back, and this worked well until the covers warped from UV exposure.

is the issue of water getting inside them a problem?

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I recently made the change to Carello covers on my 79 Spider while it was in the body shop for paint, shaving the repeater lights from the fenders, etc. I printed out John M's instructions from an old thread and gave them to the guy at the body shop. It looks like they had to drill extra holes or enlarge the existing ones in the buckets to align the mounting studs.
Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
2 x 88 Verde's
Thats correct Ed. The buckets do take some modification to work. As I recall...enlarge the original mounting holes and cut the tab off that was for retaining the old trim ring/screw. I don't think I had to drill new ones....but I may be wrong. Interestingly enough...the euro buckets are different with access to the rear of the light housing....i.e. H4 style. With our modified setup...you'll have to remove the entire bucket to replace a bulb. The euro buckets allow one to enter through the wheel well access panel, pop a cover off the back of the bucket, pop a cover off the back of the light housing and remove/replace the bulb.

BTW...your car looks spectacular. Very nicely done!

Series 3 and 4 owners might as well look away unless you are game for some modification to the nose of your car. Even then...there seems to be such a wide tolerance in the production of the current covers, that you have to test and fit a specific set of covers to a specific car. Even then...shrinking and warping of the covers can occur. I actually had my covers on the shelf for over a year before installing. Maybe that helped my outcome as mine still fit as well as they did when they were first installed.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Premium Member
3,746 Posts
Ooops...Forgot the picture.... the foam works well but, obviously, will not satisfy those seeking total originality. Also, note the cover isn't attached by the factory clamp. In another departure from originality, I used little stainless steel screws with stainless "Nylock" nuts on the inside of the bodywork. I have seen the factory clips move around and mar the paintwork, so wanted another clamp scheme.

The only problem is that water entering behind the cover leaves dirt when it runs out, which requires removing the cover to clean everything. I put a narrow strip of self adhesive foam around a set of covers a while back, and this worked well until the covers warped from UV exposure.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts