Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a cracked, foggy, unuseable pair of headlight covers to use as a starting point to create a mold to attempt to make my own covers to adapt to my S4.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Hi Bob, I have a set but they are still expensive- do you just need to borrow them?
Mark 303-258-7905

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the loan offer, but I need a set that I can modify as necessary to create the mold.....Bob

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sounds just like what I'm looking for. PM me so we can work out the details. I may not have time to get back to you until over the weekend.....Bob

·
Premium Member
3,656 Posts
Hi Bob,

I started a thread on S4 headlight covers a year or so back. A friend and I played around with blowing the shape in hot Lexan like a recumbant bicycle aerodynamic fairing. This scheme didn't work so we went off to work on the 2011 AROC convention.

One issue I never settled was what to do about the headlight rims. It doesn't seem practical to recess the S4 headlights like the earlier Spiders, so a bubble would have to stop short of the rim, overlap the rim, find a smaller diameter rim, or not use one at all. Have you considered this issue?.

I also have instructions from a BB member who made headlight bubbles to use on certain Ferrari models. PM me your email address, and I can send this to you.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bump bump- still looking. Conedriver: lots of problems to work out with this one. I have a parts car to experiment on. I was thinking of making new rims with the plastic attached, maybe paint them to match the car. Have even thought of removing the scoop from in front of the headlights from my parts car and making that part of the whole assembly. to be continued............

·
Registered
5 Posts
Don't know if this msg will find you after most of a year, but did you ever succeed in making headlight covers for your spider ? I have an 86 veloce that I cobbled some crappy Carello knockoffs onto, but not too successfully and they turned yellow and fell apart after 2 years. I wonder if those fancy 3D printers can make them out of good plastic ?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just saw your post, missed it last month. Haven't done a thing yet but it is still on my mind. I'll put up a post when I get going on the project. Still looking for an unuseable pair of carello's on the cheap.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can you e-mail photos? If so, send me a private message and I'll give you my e-mail address. I'd love to see the finished product and the mold.

·
Registered
45 Posts
But with the main mold i made, i can knock the lenses out in 15 minutes. Just need to reshape and fit. Wheres the ones i made for the GTO, they are unfinished too. Still need to make mounting bezels

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi Bob. I have a set of cloudy covers with one tab missing, and a slight crack by lower hole on one I'd be willing to send you if shipping is covered. (I'm in Kelowna, B.C., Canada).
Only thing is, I am about to leave on a out-of-country trip for 3 wks. (back Aug. 5) and don't have time to pack it up for you now.
Remind me when I get back, and I'll box up and get a shipping estimate for you, and then you can decide.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Any covers Bob doesn't want. I would be interested. And I'll make covers for anyone. Free plus shipping and parts. If they come out good.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've PM'd everyone involved and hopefully we S3 and S4 owners will have a headlight cover option in the future.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts