Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I was wondering what color the carpets were originally in the 164? As all of our cars rugs have faded... I am going to try and "refresh" my "S" interior.

I was thinking of using a spray dye for vinyl... Has any one else tried this with good result? If so how many cans for an even layer?

Also, If the original color isnt available... does any one know of a color that will look good, besides black... and color evenly?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Martin.

·
Premium Member
26,742 Posts
The 91-93 USA 164 models had either 160 gray velvet, 12 beige or 140 blue velvet.

·
Premium Member
9,697 Posts
The 91-93 USA 164 models had either 160 gray velvet, 12 beige or 140 blue velvet.
http://www.apadco.com/auto/dye.html

Works very nice and keeps carpet supple/soft.
I used #450, went a bit darker like 94-95 models. But now I have a 94 carpet I am installing! FUN!
#325 is pretty close to stock. But my eyes may be off.
Breather mask very very important, must air out for a day or 2.

Jason

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!!! I really appreciate the leads...

One more quick question... Last year my sunroof leaked on the one side of the back seat.

Since then the leather has gotten a bit stiff... despite my slathering it constantly in Lexol, Maguires, and other so called leather treatments.

Any suggestions on a product I can use that will Soften or "Re-tan" the leather?

Thanks!!
Cheers
Martin.

·
Premium Member
9,697 Posts
Thanks guys!!! I really appreciate the leads...

One more quick question... Last year my sunroof leaked on the one side of the back seat.

Since then the leather has gotten a bit stiff... despite my slathering it constantly in Lexol, Maguires, and other so called leather treatments.

Any suggestions on a product I can use that will Soften or "Re-tan" the leather?

Thanks!!
Cheers
Martin.
www.Leatherique.com
get the rejuvinator oil and prestine clean (which can be used to clean anything too, works awesome)

Great stuff, much better IMO that off the shelf autoparts store stuff.

Jason

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jason,

Thanks a billion... The leather stuff looks awesome... How many (fl oz) do you think would be required to do an entire 164?

They list in 16,32, and gallon sizes ... Obviously the gallon is a bit of over kill, but the other two?

Thanks again
Cheers
Martin.

·
Premium Member
9,697 Posts
Jason,

Thanks a billion... The leather stuff looks awesome... How many (fl oz) do you think would be required to do an entire 164?

They list in 16,32, and gallon sizes ... Obviously the gallon is a bit of over kill, but the other two?

Thanks again
Cheers
Martin.
32oz is best. You have enough left over to do a second one later in about 6-12 months for best results.

2>32oz prestine clean is best as you can clean everythign with it, dash seats, etc. Leaves no residue and cleans very well. Leaves a nice matte finish. Cleans plastic well too. I use it ever time I clean my car inside.

Ciao!
jason

·
Registered
532 Posts

I used #450, went a bit darker like 94-95 models. But now I have a 94 carpet I am installing! FUN!
Jason- I was just recommending this stuff to someone else for another car, and they were asking the same question I did about whether to go with the rattle cans or mix-it-yourself kits. It seems the spray cans are probably the easier way to go, but I'm wondering do you still have to brush it into the carpet fibers after spraying? It seems you'd have trouble getting full coverage otherwise, no?

Lastly, how many cans did it take to do the full carpet, and what was the cost per can?

Thanks....:)

·
Premium Member
9,697 Posts
Jason- I was just recommending this stuff to someone else for another car, and they were asking the same question I did about whether to go with the rattle cans or mix-it-yourself kits. It seems the spray cans are probably the easier way to go, but I'm wondering do you still have to brush it into the carpet fibers after spraying? It seems you'd have trouble getting full coverage otherwise, no?

Lastly, how many cans did it take to do the full carpet, and what was the cost per can?

Thanks....:)

Hey Brad,

I think the can way is cheaper and easier.
No need for a brush really. Here is how I did it to get it even through out.

I cleaned the carpet with all the seats, center console and side console carpets out.

I steamed cleaned it then shampooed it and used a brush for this to really get all the dirt out and to get the carpet soft again.

Let it dry, very fast here in AZ. :)

Anywho, then I did 1 layer of dye according to instructions.

Then let it dry for a few hours and this time I used a brush (not paint type but scrub type) and brushed the carpet in the opposite direction to get the carpet I missed due to direction.
I did this a few times (wearing a breather mask...otherwise your brain dead)
I used about 4-5 cans and still have some left over.

Now the best thing to do to see teh spots you missed is have the car in a sunny spot, otherwise you can miss some areas, or at least I did.

Nice even sprays like painting a car. Cost per can was around $5-6? I think? Maybe $7 at most. I think I bought 6, so I got a better discount? can't rememer

Hope that helps.

Ciao!
Jason

·
Premium Member
26,742 Posts

Jason
Isn't 325 a shade of blue? Do you mean 445?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Isn't 325 a shade of blue? Do you mean 445?
Steve- I think Jason was referring to the stock '91-3 carpet which is a blueish-gray. That said, the 325 is probably more blue that stock, and the 445 more gray than stock. Regardless, I like Jason's idea of just going with a charcoal gray like #450, regardless of the seat upholstery. I have saddle leather, and wouldn't consider the saddle colored carpet even if it was free.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I called an upholstery shop and they said if they dyed my carpet, it would lose its softness to it. Does this sound right?
I could see where it might get a little stiffer if laid on too heavy, but frankly, it sounds to me like they want to sell you a new carpet. :confused: I haven't done this yet myself, but from I've read of others who have dyed their carpets, it seems to work well. Do you really need a "living room plush" carpet in your car any way?:p

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
If your carpets are badly faded I would buy two bottles at least with the blue/ grey carpet. If they are not too bad, one should be enough. Really depends on how dark you want to go.
Charles

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
You should have enough then to do the OEM floor mats too.
Charles

1 - 20 of 41 Posts