Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if a carpet kit for a 1978 Spider will fit a 1977 Spider?

One vendor shows a set for 1971 through 1977 and another set for 1978 through 1993. This seems like an odd break point, but the 1978 kit offers features that I want for my 1977. Basically, I want to fit the later style carpet in the rear to cover the shoulder harness seat belts and offer the flat floor, but the area under and between the front seats is a '77, of course. I've heard that the tunnel between the seats has a different contour later in the mid eighties or so.

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
138 Posts
There are several breaks in the changes. It should be 71-77, 78, 79-85, 86-90 and 91-94. Vendors list them because of pricing not application. In most cases they are custom made and that's why they ask for your year.

You can't install the shelf from a 79-85 in a 77 or earlier car because of the seat belt setup. Well maybe with alot of modification.

Your correct about the tunnel change, it was 85. The early cars use a round tunnel and late use a square tunnel.

Your best bet would be to get a carpet kit for your car and some extra material. Make your own panel out of plywood and cover it with the extra material.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I've done all the modifications to duplicate the seatbelt arrangement in a 79-85 Spider as closely as possible. I could use a '79 carpet set, but don't know if there are any other differences forward of the floor kick-up. That's a good idea about getting extra carpet to make up any differences.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, thanks. The plan then is to buy a '79 carpet set and I'll let the BB know how it turns out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts