Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1750 GTV Serie 1 US specs 1969
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First Happy New Year to all
I have a 1969 Serie 1 US specs and would like to change the carpet and also remove the dashboard/center console to change the switches and check on the fan/heater. Do you know if I could find some sort of a tutorial or if overall it is complicated? Should I be avoiding specific move to do so? Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks'

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
It sounds like you want to convert to a GTJr styled dash. I don’t think it’s complicated, and more a matter of finding the parts for the dual gauge cluster, heater controls, ash tray and such (if you want to keep it somewhat OEM). Another option is to customize it as you please. Keep in mind that ‘69 1750s are pretty desirable so deviating from the original dash and center console layout may detract from future valuation. But it’s your car and do as you please. Anything is possible if you have the time and money.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank Bellagt. Actually I do not want to convert. I was just asking how hard it is to remove the center console and dashboard? Any tricks or so?
once removed I will change the switches as2 of them are broken.
i will also change the entire carpet as the one in place was cheap. Thank you

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Oh, if that’s the case, I wouldn’t remove the dash unless absolutely necessary.

I think the following removal sequence works, but @brad fischer or @1750GT surely know the best means and methods...
  1. Remove front seats
  2. Remove front seat belts (short sections with buckle)
  3. Remove both center console trim pieces (between front and half sections)
  4. Remove rear console section
  5. Remove shift knob
  6. Loosen screws to front center console section and pull rearward to for access behind the console
  7. Loosen the heater and vent control panel
  8. Disconnect the wire harness connections to the center console gauges and switches
  9. Remove the center console
With the seats and console removed, you should have good access to the dash switches while on your back. This is the approach for working on a 2000GTV, so I think the 1750 would be very similar.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, if that’s the case, I wouldn’t remove the dash unless absolutely necessary.

I think the following removal sequence works, but @brad fischer or @1750GT surely know the best means and methods...
  1. Remove front seats
  2. Remove front seat belts (short sections with buckle)
  3. Remove both center console trim pieces (between front and half sections)
  4. Remove rear console section
  5. Remove shift knob
  6. Loosen screws to front center console section and pull rearward to for access behind the console
  7. Loosen the heater and vent control panel
  8. Disconnect the wire harness connections to the center console gauges and switches
  9. Remove the center console
With the seats and console removed, you should have good access to the dash switches while on your back. This is the approach for working on a 2000GTV, so I think the 1750 would be very similar.
@bellagt thank you for the veryquick response and help. Will start the process this afternoon and report of any issue or not.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another question, I have read sveral options for the carpet, using double adhesive? spray glue or neoprene cement? Any specific brand I should look at ? Thanks

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Another question, I have read sveral options for the carpet, using double adhesive? spray glue or neoprene cement? Any specific brand I should look at ? Thanks
Hi again. Do I need a dynamat or insulation on the center tunnel?? It makes the carpet quite thick ( carpet from classic Alfa) and not sure the tunnel console will fit
The previous one made it impossible to move the seat all the way in front position as it was scrubbing on it. Any thoughts ?? See photo of what is actually in place....

·
Premium Member
22,973 Posts
2000 GTVs had one-piece molded carpet, at least US cars did and I assume others. All earlier had multi-piece wool, held in by little screws and finishing washers. So that's how I put my Alfa carpets in. Did my 66 GTV a year ago with a Classic Alfa kit, all worked well. Glue can help to place and hold things but I don't believe it's how Alfa did it.
Keyston spray glue is very good.
Andrew

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2000 GTVs had one-piece molded carpet, at least US cars did and I assume others. All earlier had multi-piece wool, held in by little screws and finishing washers. So that's how I put my Alfa carpets in. Did my 66 GTV a year ago with a Classic Alfa kit, all worked well. Glue can help to place and hold things but I don't believe it's how Alfa did it.
Andrew
A
Andrew
Thanks Andrew. It makes sense not to add any insulation in order to perfectly adjust the carpet
Andrew
thanks Andrew. Will remove the actual sort of Insulation (at least in the transmission tunnel) and glue the carpet directly. Will help adjusting the carpet and also both consoles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts