Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the middle of restoring the interior of my 74 GTV and have two questions. First, is the carpet one piece or several? A parts supplier tried to tell me yesterday that that the carpet set for a 74 GTV is an eight piece set. However, I just pulled what I thought was the original carpet from my car and it's a large single piece. Which is it??
Second, I'm looking without success for replacement kick panels for the front of the interior. Any ideas where I can find them? Are they just unobtainium?? Anyone have a good used set they would be willing to sell?

·
Registered
462 Posts
kick panels and map pockets

You can get these from Classicalfa.com.

·
Registered
936 Posts
all the suppliers sell a multi-piece carpet set, that i have seen. even Re-Originals, who sells expensive but serious restoration correct stuff, sells the multi-piece carpet.

·
Super Moderator
10,168 Posts
Interior details

I believe that the factory-supplied carpets were in multiple pieces. Eight sounds about right.

By "kick panels", you mean those fiberboard panels by the driver's and passenger's feet, that have the little map pockets attached - yes? Those were pretty much unchanged across the entire production runs of 105 coupes, and shouldn't be too hard to find used. Try Alfa Parts Exchange, watch ebay for awhile, and/or put a notice on the "parts wanted" section of the BB.

·
Registered
371 Posts
A few years ago I pulled the original unworn carpet from an unmolested, low miles, '74 GTV parts car. The carpet was one molded piece. I cleaned & resprayed it and now it's in my '72.

I have the original carpets from my own '72, another '72, and a brand new set from Centerline, all multi-piece.

The one pc. carpet seems to stay in place nicely, although I think the original one I have has shrunk slightly with age.

For the panels you might try glueing black vinyl to 1/8" luaun plywood. the luaun is cheap, moisture resistant, and bendy. Finding good map pockets is the hard part here. If the body of your pockets are ok, I may have some of the plastic chrome edge trim used along the top edge (cheap) to replace the old stuff thats turned yellow with age.

Best of luck

·
Registered
279 Posts
My '74 GTV has been in my family since about 1980, and I can guarantee that the carpet has not been replaced in that time. It is a one piece molded unit, so I believe that to be original. I too have been puzzled as to why the vendors sell multi-piece sets for these cars. Ease of manufacture and shipping?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A vendor told me this morning that the molded one piece carrpet is too expensive to reproduce. However, he (Classic Alfa in the U.k.) has the kick panels. I assume that an upolsterer could fit a custom one piece carpet easily.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It seems one piece and muliple piece carpets may have been supplied by the factory. My 74 GTV doesnt have a one piece moulded carpet and ive had it from when it was a few years old. Maybe they used all of the moulded carpets they had before the GTV model run ended and made do with what they could get to finish off?

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I actually suspect that US market got one piece moulded carpets in the later cars and the rest of the world got the multi piece set. My `74 GTV has original multi piece and so does my newly acquired `66 or `67 Giulia Ti. -116`s onwards seem to all have moulded however.

Richard J
`66/67? Giulia Ti, `69 GT Junior, `74 GTV, `76 Alfetta GTV `77 Alfetta GTV,
`81 Alfasud Ti,`84 GTV6, `90 164

1 - 11 of 11 Posts