Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace the burnt orange carpet in our 81 Spider. Car is light blue metallic with tan seats. I think I'll stick with the tan interior and find tan carpet. I feel capable enough to do it myself. Can one tell the difference between a kit with all the pieces and the single piece molded carpet? I'm not trying to make a show car, just want it to look nice.
I know many folks have said World Upholstery is a good choice and I may very well end up there BUT who are their competitors? Some stores have kits but only in black. Has anyone used Lakewell out of Belgium? They are priced below World Upholstery (even with shipping) and their lead time is about the same.

Thanks to all that make this work!

·
Registered
what part?
10,255 Posts
are you handy with tools ? if so post back

·
Registered
830 Posts
And if he is not handy with tools?????

What, buy a Ford???

·
Registered
what part?
10,255 Posts
cabela's boat carper,, a heat gun.. shot bags. and hot water. you too ! can mold your own carpet..nice thing about cabela's boat carpet, it designed to be in direct sunlight, and able to handle water... great winter project.... unless it gets really cold were you live

·
Premium Member
5,648 Posts

I agree with using marine grade carpet. I prefer a pieced carpet. To me it just looks more refined. You can make templates and cut the carpet with a utility knife. Then for about $50 any upholsterer can bind the pieces in the color of your choice. Might want to have them add a heel protector too.

Don't glue the bottom pieces so in the event you get water in the cabin you can pull it up. Can't do that easily with molded carpet...

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
I do not think you will find one piece carpet. I have been trying and have come up empty.
Many people are selling used one piece original carpet but it seems just as pricey as buying new carpet in pieces.
You said Lakewell is cheaper than World upholstery. No surprise. World Uphilstery will never be the low price leader in my experience. I have never tried Lakewell but what they offer looks nice

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have placed an order with Lakewell. I hope to receive it in a couple weeks.
NEXT QUESTION - what to put under the carpet? Sound deadening and heat reflection I think are my priorities. I’ve read a few posts about Dynamat and similar. I just need a little more help.
Please and Thank You!

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
I like dynamat but have never tried it in an Alfa

·
Registered
what part?
10,255 Posts
same stuff at home depot.. peal and stick.. lot less $$$

1 - 11 of 11 Posts