Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of the U.S. members converted to H4 head lamps? I assume that the European models already have them.

I just switched to a repro set (pictured below) but being in the city, I can't really tell how well they work yet. They light up my garage better than the sealed beams.

There's a nice set of 5-1/4" Carello head lamps on eBay, for a quad lighted GTV. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34207&item=2404923384&rd=1

I read some where that people replaced the inner set of a quad lighted GTV with aircraft landing lights. Supposedly lit up the entire Western hemisphere with them.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
How much did you cop the lights for?

I definitly want to get rid of my light's, there terrible. Post some feedback once you enter some dark roads.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have driven with the new lights at night, actually. They are much brighter. Not as much as I had hoped though. They have a slight blueish tint, but not obnoxiously so. I got them off eBay for 32 bones! Seller [email protected] sells them.

Oddly enough, those Carello's I posted are still at $9.99. I've seen people trying to sell originals for $300. I don't stick around to see if they get their price.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Follow up

I went for a nice ride the other night and found some dark roads. These H4 lamps are MUCH brighter than the stock sealed beams! I highly recommend them.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Kai,

Did you encounter any problems installing the Carellos? I am about to order a pair from Classic Alfa, but worry about them fitting US headlight buckets.

Barry

·
Registered
271 Posts
It's me again, still wondering which lights to buy for my 69 GTV. I'm sure I want halogens, but does anyone have an opinion about the differences between the Hellas from IAP and the Carellos from Classic Alfa? Are there installation issues? Does one perform better?

Thanks,

Barry

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
12,327 Posts
Have any of the U.S. members converted to H4 head lamps? I assume that the European models already have them.

I just switched to a repro set (pictured below) but being in the city, I can't really tell how well they work yet. They light up my garage better than the sealed beams.

There's a nice set of 5-1/4" Carello head lamps on eBay, for a quad lighted GTV. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34207&item=2404923384&rd=1

I read some where that people replaced the inner set of a quad lighted GTV with aircraft landing lights. Supposedly lit up the entire Western hemisphere with them.
I hope you're putting in some relays. if not, you'll fry your switch.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Osso?

I put the infamous aircraft landing lights in my 67 Super to spot wandering cattle and horses. I don't remember if I added a relay. but that was forty years ago. Thanks for the reminder. If Ijust put H4's in the head lights of my US GTV, do you think I will need to add a relay? I know it all has to do with amps drawn, but I'm looking for a simple answer.

Barry

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
12,327 Posts
Osso?

I put the infamous aircraft landing lights in my 67 Super to spot wandering cattle and horses. I don't remember if I added a relay. but that was forty years ago. Thanks for the reminder. If Ijust put H4's in the head lights of my US GTV, do you think I will need to add a relay? I know it all has to do with amps drawn, but I'm looking for a simple answer.

Barry
I think it's a good idea to put in relays, no matter what. Those old headlamp switches just can't handle the current. When the contacts get hot, they melt the nylon cam that is on the stalk. When that happens, the lights won't turn on. I think H4's pull more current than the low wattage crap we get here in the US. I'd say if your switch hasn't started smoking after forty years, you' are probably ok.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Yes, they do

...I think H4's pull more current than the low wattage crap we get here in the US...
9 amps per 55W H1 bulb. I've got H1s in each of the 4 lamps... the two low beams, and the inner high beams. Its a Euro car, so when you switch to high from low, all 4 lamps burn... it's great. I think each circuit of the H4 would probably draw 9 amps, but since the lows work separately from the highs, you'll only have 9 amps drawn from each side of the H4 at one time. But when the H1 in the inside is on (fog) with the low beam, you've got about 36 amps for a 55W system (more for the 100W, etc). If you run the high H4 with an inner driving lamp, you've got the same thing... 36 amps with 55W bulbs. In any event, to protect your switch gear, relays are a very, very good thing.

Pappajam walked me through using the fuse block to add relays for the high beam, and low beam. As the simpler quad H1 system may not directly apply, possibly Pappajam could advise on using the fuse block as a means of the H4 Hi-Low relay, and the separate H1 inside fog/driving lamp.

There are different quality H1 and H4 bulbs available. Basic ones are good, but some of the PIAA and Hoen (I think that's the Euro source) have very nice, super bright H1s and H4s. I've got a new set in the Nuova Super, and 3 spare sets in the parts closet. Some of the H4 and H1 sources are going away.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Buying lamps form UK

It's me again, still wondering which lights to buy for my 69 GTV. I'm sure I want halogens, but does anyone have an opinion about the differences between the Hellas from IAP and the Carellos from Classic Alfa? Are there installation issues? Does one perform better?

Thanks,

Barry
If you get headlamps from the UK, make sure you buy lamps for LHD. Yes, headlamps are sided. The lens is designed to produce an asymmetrical beam to prevent glare for oncoming drivers. I'm not sure sealed beams are that sophisticated!

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,037 Posts
I put H-4 Cibie's in in 1975 and still running the original bulbs. They rock. They are the ones that have the diagonal pattern that goes up to the right. Why I know not, perhaps to see the trees better. I have just procured the Hella double relay to convert the system to relays. I posted instructions for that in "Electrical" recently as well as a link a Hella relay site. Good luck. Brucd

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,037 Posts
Instrucitons and Relays

I posted some instructions on installing relays to the headlamp circuit and a link to a site to purchase Hella relays (inlcuding the referenced double relay) here - LINK.

Another related thread here: LINK2.

I've got my relays on order and this project on the To Do list since I've been running H-4's for a long time.

Now, anyone know where to find the fabled 69 4-way emergency flasher relay??

Bruce

1 - 14 of 14 Posts