Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few older Cardisc CDs that will not work on my new computer. I have called Leo at Cardisc several times with no return. Does any one know if they are still in business? Does anyone know how to get past the "cd drive name unrecognized" error? Thanks, please keep it simple I'm a computer idiot. Trav
 

·
Supporting Vendor
Joined
·
4,423 Posts
I don't have an answer for you but I do have a questions for the collective:

I lost my Milano Cardisc in a recent move. I bought this and have a receipt. Would anyone be willing to burn me a copy of theirs? (legal to do, you are entitled to back up your software or replace lost with receipt of purchase)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,977 Posts
I think his email is [email protected]

There shouldn't be any reason that they won't work in your new computer. Sounds like you have a configuration problem with that message.

Try clicking on My Computer, then your CD drive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,284 Posts
Trav said:
I have a few older Cardisc CDs that will not work on my new computer. I have called Leo at Cardisc several times with no return. Does any one know if they are still in business? Does anyone know how to get past the "cd drive name unrecognized" error? Thanks, please keep it simple I'm a computer idiot. Trav
Trav
Are you running XP??

http://www.cardisc.com/WindowsXPUpdate.asp


BTW, are the Cardiscs really helpful? I am thinking of buying one.

THX.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,171 Posts
There were updates on the site for newer operating systems. I copied the CD to my hard drive and run it without the CD.

I'm pretty disappointed with the car disc but there doesn't seem to be any alternative. Like so many things Alfa related, we're stuck with antiquated technology.

The car disc has an interface that was really cool in 1981 and the images suck. Printing is awful.

I have the shop manual for my 2000 Eclipse on CD. The whole thing is in PDF and the entire table of contents is hyperlinked. Print outs are sharp and clear. It is a joy to use.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,067 Posts
Trav said:
I have a few older Cardisc CDs that will not work on my new computer . . Does anyone know how to get past the "cd drive name unrecognized" error? Thanks, please keep it simple I'm a computer idiot. Trav
I can post step-by-step instructions on how to get around this nuisance. If no one is interested, I can just PM them to Trav.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,067 Posts
Paradiso said:
There were updates on the site for newer operating systems. I copied the CD to my hard drive and run it without the CD.

I'm pretty disappointed with the car disc but there doesn't seem to be any alternative. Like so many things Alfa related, we're stuck with antiquated technology.

The car disc has an interface that was really cool in 1981 and the images suck. Printing is awful.
On each of these points, I couldn't agree more! I just love those messages, "we're sorry sucker, but we don't have a manual in the year you requested. please see the xxxxx manual for 1974 to 1979..."

I seem to recall running problems with my Win95. I also copied the CD to my hard drive.

With the Win2000 and XP updates, more and more software cd's need to be copied to the hard drive in order for installation to work. Even Office XP requires this. If it's not a database or reference program, like an Alfa CD-Rom, then the folder can be deleted after installation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,067 Posts
JoeCab said:
I don't have an answer for you but I do have a questions for the collective:

I lost my Milano Cardisc in a recent move. I bought this and have a receipt. Would anyone be willing to burn me a copy of theirs? (legal to do, you are entitled to back up your software or replace lost with receipt of purchase)
Ummm, yeah, I lost my GTV cardisc too. Can someone send me one? That's the ticket...

(just kidding)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,067 Posts
I can provide screen shots as soon as I find my disc. Probabaly at work. Nice printers there. Mmmmmm

I see that AC's '73 GTV has reached three grand. That rust scares me.

I took a peak at this 1975 Alfa Romeo : GTV and she's up to 42something.

Speaking of this GTV, she's looks great but isn't she riding a bit too high? Probably lived on jack stands for a long time.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,067 Posts
The images can not be extracted. It's obvious that the "creator" of the CarDiscs merely scanned original AR manuals.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,067 Posts
Not just that manual. There's actually a lot to check out on a CarDisc. Here are some shots of the expanded menus.
 

Attachments

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Top