Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Cardboard/paper mache dashboards.

A small anecdote. If that is appropiate here.

I was talking to one of the better known Alfista in the UK and here on alfabb and supplied him with a picture of a Giulia Sprint GTA interior with, what turned out to be a cardboard/paper mache dashboard, not plastic. That dashboard, as it turned out, was an Autodelta works option?! He recognized it and it became clear what exactly it was. And judging by the picture, more cardboard dashboards had survived.
Later, a very good and passionate mechanic and restorer of classic cars, here in the Netherlands, reminded me of GTA's dashboards. He told me he had been preparing some GTA's for historic racing in the late eighties, early nineties. They ripped out a dashboard that had pretty much desintegrated in pieces. That dashboard was made of cardboard/paper mache .....

·
Registered
685 Posts
Olaf,
My experience is that ALL of the early production cars had plain cardboard dashes with the face painted gray. This was for GT, GTC & GTA all the same. I believe the in Left Hand Drive markets, a black face was also offered over the cardboard. (This is separate from the glass-fibre lightweight dash option offered by Autodelta)
With introduction of GTV, the same cardboard face had the fake wood-grain plastic coating on the face & a chrome trim around the edge of the black padding.
Vince.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Olaf,
My experience is that ALL of the early production cars had plain cardboard dashes with the face painted gray. This was for GT, GTC & GTA all the same. I believe the in Left Hand Drive markets, a black face was also offered over the cardboard. (This is separate from the glass-fibre lightweight dash option offered by Autodelta)
With introduction of GTV, the same cardboard face had the fake wood-grain plastic coating on the face & a chrome trim around the edge of the black padding.
Vince.
Hello Vince,

Interesting view! I checked my partscatalog for Giulia Sprint GT/GTV/GTC/GTA. The normal dash in the GTA was shared with the GT and GTC. So you are correct on that. The details and partnumbers of a GTA dash, for example for the padding/upholstery, look different.
I'll try to find out more from the parts book view.

The Alfista I mentioned, checked (5 or more years ago?) and said this GTA dashboard in the picture I showed him, and the dash he knew about, were different from the ordinairy GTA dashboards. The difference is what surprised him, when looking at the picture. I will ask him and get back to you.

Better still would be to find the photo in my database with about 70.000 pictures 😂😃😄
Or a reference in the mid sixties to an Autodelta/special partnumber for a special dashboard.

Later in the sixties/early seventies, they made the dashboards out of plastic.
There are Autodelta/special partnumbers present for both the plastic GTAm and GTA dash in the Performance Options Catalog.
105.32.63.011.10 for the GTA, GTA 1300 Junior, GT, GTV, 1600's and 1300's
105.51.63.011.10 for the GTAm and 1750 GTV

Ciao, Olaf

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
My 1967 Giulia Sprint GT came with a wood grain cardboard dash. I have a spare dash in pretty good shape if anyone needs one.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Hi Olaf,
So what your UK guy is suggesting is that he has found a different thinner/lighter cardboard dash than the regular ones?
Can't say I've ever heard of this before, but could well be possible before A/delta glass-fibre ones became common use for racing.
I'm just about to pull the dash from 752556, I'll have a close look but not expecting anything out of the ordinary.
Vince.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Olaf,
So what your UK guy is suggesting is that he has found a different thinner/lighter cardboard dash than the regular ones?
Can't say I've ever heard of this before, but could well be possible before A/delta glass-fibre ones became common use for racing.
I'm just about to pull the dash from 752556, I'll have a close look but not expecting anything out of the ordinary.
Vince.
Hi Vince,

That is exactly what he said. An Autodelta works dashboard.
It would be interesting to see if you discover something when you take out your dash.
Do you have a glove compartment in your dash?

I am looking for the picture.

Ciao, Olaf

·
Registered
685 Posts
Hi Olaf,
Yes mine has a glove compartment, car is just a stradale version. The dash certainly looks nothing from ordinary from the outside anyway.
Vince,

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Vince,

Nonetheless, it is interesting to see what you will find, disassembling a GTA dash.
Still looking for that picture.

Ciao,,Olaf

1 - 9 of 9 Posts