Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so this is what happened with my 1981 Spider with Dcoe 40 151 carburetors. the car was running fine till i did an oil change and replaced the old spark plugs with ngk's (copper). it was running smoothly till the next morning I went to go start the car for work on a very cold Minnesota winter. The car would not start so i kept pumping the gas and turing the switch but i got nothing. i did this for about 5mins straight and after a while i started to smell something that was burning so i popped the hood and there was a flame on the carburetor air filter. I put the flame out by dumping snow on the flame and that took care of it. this happened two days ago and today my dad tried to start it and nothing but a flame on the opposite carburetor filter. I just took a glance and it looks like gas is seeping from the carbs.

Please help!:frown2::frown2::frown2::frown2:

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I would start by checking float bowl fuel levels that are controlled by the float setting and float valves. If the levels are set too high, or the fuel pump is too strong for the valve then fuel dribbles out

·
Super Moderator
10,599 Posts
i did an oil change and replaced the old spark plugs with ngk's (copper). it was running smoothly
If the car ran well after the oil and plug change, then I would bet that isn't your problem. My guess is that the cold weather, combined with something on flivesay's list (above post) is the issue.

The car would not start so i kept pumping the gas and turing the switch but i got nothing. i did this for about 5mins straight..
It isn't good practice to crank your engine for five minutes straight! If it doesn't start after a reasonable period, there's no sense in overheating the starter, or setting your air cleaners on fire.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts