Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Folks,
I'm kinda new to the Alfa world but have some experience with engines and carburetors. My father has a 62 Giulietta Spider that he recently had rebuilt.

After commissioning the [thought to be a good alfa] mechanic to rebuild his engine, he was then advised against said engine rebuilder from members of the alfa owners club. He let the guy build it anyway and when it came time for us to start the new engine we had a terrible miss-fire and a bubbling coolant. We didn't really think much of it but it turned out the mechanic never measured the cylinder sleeves and one was a few thousands short creating for a head gasket leak.

Against his better judgement (and in his defense we did not know what the issue was), my father let the moronic mechanic who built the motor "repair" it. The guy found the problem, ordered new parts put back together and then raked my old man over the coals...I would like to bash the guy publicly but I will refrain. If you are in New Jersey and want to know who NOT to go to, private message me and I will be happy to tattle.

We now are able to get the engine running however at idle every few seconds the engine sporadically 'backfires'. Its more like a pop from different cylinders rather than a loud backfire but its very disheartening knowing that this is a freshly rebuilt engine and we can't figure out this kink.

The engine is a 1.3 liter (actually I think its a 1.4 with the new sleeves), has weber carbs and a new electronic distributor. When you try and rev the engine it has some hesitation as if the carbs were choked and they're not then pops. The distributor is a new electronic pickup kind and this issues was still present with the old point distrubutor. Plugs and wires are new and carbs have been tuned to the point where they shouldn't be so much the problem. The car does have "euro" cams.

ANY CLUES as to where we should look next??? This has been his project for the past several years and he is almost there on completing the restoration but is about to give up. I'm hoping together we can get this beauty running right.

ANY help is SOOO much appreciated. Thanks so Much!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
It sounds to me like the carbs are too lean. The intake cam timing could be retarded some as well. Might be both.

Will

·
Registered
18 Posts
Won't running hot also be a sign of running too lean? I ask because I'm chasing down a similar issue after having a clog in the fuel line.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts