Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Firstly, there are no carbs that will just "bolt on" to the 16v heads - you will need to manufacture (or have manufactured) a pair of intake manifolds to match the carbs you wish to fit. Also, the stock camshafts are probably innappropriate for use with carburetors, they won't have enough lift to allow you to obtain maximum power. The higher the lift, the higher up the rpm scale it is before you start seeing more power (ie 4000rpm+).

By the time you've bought a pair of Weber IDF 44's or even IDA's, manufactured the intake manifold, had custom cams made, dyno'd the engine and jetted the carbs etc you'll have spent an absolute fortune and lost some reliability!

The Motronic system is actually pretty well designed, although a bit primitive by modern standards. There are "holes" in the rpm range, where it just feels like it be programmed smoother - but thats the 100rpm increments at which it is programmed. the 16v throttle bodies are a work of art - they are matched to the engine, the throttle linkage is all there - adding a new ECU and spending an hour on the dyno would be much better money spent.

At the end of the day, depends on what you want - "everyday drivability, carbs, and lots of power" is a bit of an oxymoron!

~Benjamin

·
Registered
501 Posts
I'm not experienced with programming with the Motronic at all, and I am a bit sceptical about dropping in a new chip - you have no idea how the rpm/torque curve has been modified.

I would suggest a Motec system, but any major brand that is readily programmable is probably fine. The megasquirt electronic kit is also pretty good if your competent with a soldering iron (so I've heard anyway).

Guessing you wouldn't get any change out of $3k-$4k Aus, for upgrading to a decent ECU, including dyno time assuming you do most of the installation yourself.

Who offers the 16v carb manifolds?

~Benjamin

·
Registered
501 Posts
Not that you guys are probably into the traffic light wars, but a 16v with the standard 16v exhaust that shrinks down at the back, and no chip makes a sud more or less untouchable at lights.

But maybe it's different in your country.

lenus.
The word "restrained" comes to mind! My 16v is getting the exhaust mods shortly :)

~Benjamin

·
Registered
501 Posts
By all means though, if you had a 33 16v, they'd lend well to a turbo. Lots of room up infront of the radiator.

lenus.
Well, not a huge amount - depends a lot if you want to keep your airconditioning too!

Instead of intercooling, one could use a charge or water cooler instead. These can be quite compact and sit inline between the turbo/supercharger and throttle bodies. Incidentally, there may be problems with boosted air being pushed out through throttle shaft seals, as was the problem with running boost through carburetors. Then there is still the problem of having a radiator relocated elsewhere to do the air cooling of the charge coiler! Reworking on of the 33's aircon condensors might be worth looking at.

A successful turbo set up at the end of the day will always cost a significant amount of money though... (and risk of blowing something up)

~Benjamin

·
Registered
501 Posts
There's this thing about the Alfa 33 that makes you happier as the rev goes higher. I believe forced induction will rob this aspect. And turbo charged engines have a shorter life span.

I know of this dude that turbo charged his 147. It's very fast. Standard pistons gave way very soon after. Spent thousands on Forged pistons. Total job cost nearly 10K. And I've got this strong feeling his glory won't last long.
Fitting forged pistons solves one problem, but often creates another. Forged pistons require a slightly larger clearance in the bore (4 thou isn't uncommon, and those are the specs I have for my forged pistons that I'm yet to utilise), so you must carefully warm up the engine until you start driving hard so that the pistons are not slopping around in their bores. Just another factor that takes away a turbo car from being a daily driver.

While turbo charged daily drivers are quite common (WRX, Astra turbo etc), I dare say these cars will also need turbos replaced after 200,000km (or less), due to the constant heat up / cool down. Don't forget cooling issues with water / oil flows, as well as the seals associated with these aspects of a turbo charger.

Don't get me wrong though, I would love to see a successfully turbod 16v engine in a 33, I think it would be a rocket if done properly - but reliability and cost will always be the drawbacks. As others have mentioned already, 150hp in a car that weighs under 950kg is a lot of fun to begin with :)

But, maybe this would be a good idea - fit a 16v turbo engine in to the *rear* of a 'sud or sprint - but that is a whole new engineering challange not for the faint hearted!

~Benjamin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.