Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed a new boot for my parking brake and now the handel looks old and worn. I was just wanted to see what other people have done with replacing their parking brake handels?

I have a carbon fiber shift knob and thought a carbon fiber parking brake handel would go nicely with it. Does any one know if one could be made up and if so who could do it?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Just installed a new boot for my parking brake and now the handel looks old and worn. I was just wanted to see what other people have done with replacing their parking brake handels?

I have a carbon fiber shift knob and thought a carbon fiber parking brake handel would go nicely with it. Does any one know if one could be made up and if so who could do it?
You'll have to get the I.D. size on it, but here is a start: http://www.prostreetonline.com/s/accessories_vibrant-parking-brake-handle.asp
Where did you get that shift knob?

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks David I'll check the link out,

Here the link to the shift knob:

http://www.racinglab.com/momshadshifk.html

Nice looking parking brake handel David I'll have to check the inside diam.

I think Mike Cudy(or something like that) in Chicago does carbon fiber but I'm not sure if I have his name right? Should be an easy mold to do and there might be a demand for them for him to make a batch.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Thanks David I'll check the link out,

Here the link to the shift knob:

http://www.racinglab.com/momshadshifk.html

I think Mike Cudy(or something like that) in Chicago does carbon fiber but I'm not sure if I have his name right? Should be an easy mold to do and there might be a demand for them for him to make a batch.
Thanks for the link! Let him know he'd be selling at LEAST 2 of them-I do want one. I got carbon fiber sheets to redo my door panels (too lazy to actually do it so far-but it will happen), I was hoping for more carbon fiber accessories for our cars. Oh, AC vents in carbon fiber would be cool too!

·
Registered
520 Posts
hey murray, im missing the screws for the handle. they were just never there when i bought the car. its not too big a hassle.

but i was wondering if you could , when doing your upgrade, give any info or a photo of the size and thread of those screws, and maybe i can get them from a hardware store or somethin..

thanks in advance if so. --Guido

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
hey murray, im missing the screws for the handle. they were just never there when i bought the car. its not too big a hassle.

but i was wondering if you could , when doing your upgrade, give any info or a photo of the size and thread of those screws, and maybe i can get them from a hardware store or somethin..

You could overnight me your shift knob and I'll over drill it, tap it and provide you with set screws that will never come loose:D

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

Now that you mentioned it I took those screws out a while back and I have no idea where I put them.

I like sliding the handle off when I swing by Starbuck's to wedge a Vinti Cafe Mocha between the handle and the consul side (fits nice and snug with the handle off). I'll have find them and get back to you.

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
I guess there's no accounting for taste.

And why do some people insist on calling that hand-operated brake the 'emergency brake'? Isn't it obvious that in an emergency, the first thing you usually do is press the foot brake, hard? 99.9999% of drivers wouldn't know how to correctly use the handbrake in extremis, whether you're gripping nice and shiny carbon fibre or not.

Ugh.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess there's no accounting for taste.

And why do some people insist on calling that hand-operated brake the 'emergency brake'? Isn't it obvious that in an emergency, the first thing you usually do is press the foot brake, hard? 99.9999% of drivers wouldn't know how to correctly use the handbrake in extremis, whether you're gripping nice and shiny carbon fibre or not.

Ugh.
Ohhh but it does become an 'emergency brake' when the your brakes fail. :D

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,070 Posts
I like sliding the handle off when I swing by Starbuck's to wedge a Vinti Cafe Mocha between the handle and the consul side (fits nice and snug with the handle off).
Murray, that is *so* wrong on so many levels :p

My rubber handle looked pretty crappy too until I resprayed it. World Upholstery sells a vinyl spray dye that matches the tan Spider interior. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My rubber handle looked pretty crappy too until I resprayed it. World Upholstery sells a vinyl spray dye that matches the tan Spider interior. Works like a charm.
I thought about doing that but the handle is more like rubber than vinyl and I didn't think the vinyl spray would stay on it?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,070 Posts
Worked fine for me. It's basically just spray paint. I used the same stuff to redo the boot, the handle, and also the b-pillars.

You really need to use the cleaner they sell before spraying it or it won't stick well. It also won't completely fix the places where the rubber has thinned and has revealed the pores of the cells (like on your handle around the front) but it'll make it a lot less noticable.

3218 Saddle is the color code from World Upholstery for S4 tan vinyl.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Worked fine for me. It's basically just spray paint. I used the same stuff to redo the boot, the handle, and also the b-pillars.

You really need to use the cleaner they sell before spraying it or it won't stick well. It also won't completely fix the places where the rubber has thinned and has revealed the pores of the cells (like on your handle around the front) but it'll make it a lot less noticable.

3218 Saddle is the color code from World Upholstery for S4 tan vinyl.
Thanks Tom,

Yes, I have used it and the clear before on the drivers b-pillaer (new ones only come in black) and I still have enough left to do the this job.

I'll try it.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,070 Posts
Yup, I had the same problem. I ended up buying the aluminum replacement b-pillar in black and peeling off the black vinyl. Then I stuck on the old tan vinyl and resprayed it.

Now that I think about it, probably you could use some body glaze or other filler to patch the worn areas before respraying. I bet that would make it as good as new.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Jack Alert................:D

My B-piller on the passenger side needs to be replaced too but no one that I knows sells them? Do you know anyone that carries them?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts