Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Which is better?

• Carbon Fiber Panels WITHOUT the map pocket.

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Carbon Fiber Panels WITH the map pocket.

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • OEM was better to begin with.

Votes: 17 63.0%
  • DO NOT add a red led to the reflector ricer boy!

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After almost a year of procrastination, the old door panels are finally beyond ready for replacement, so since I've had the carbon fiber sheets to do the job for nearly a year, now is the time. Here are some before pics (passenger side is in the exact same shape)...

Attachments

·
Registered
776 Posts
DD, I'm sure the CF panels will look a lot better. Good luck with the project. Perhaps you could sell these?

Incidentally, what kind of wheel is that (front left is visible)? Is it temporary? Has to be - I assume I am looking at a hub cap?

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DD, I'm sure the CF panels will look a lot better. Good luck with the project. Perhaps you could sell these?

Incidentally, what kind of wheel is that (front left is visible)? Is it temporary? Has to be - I assume I am looking at a hub cap?
I doubt I could sell those door panels, they are completely shot-beyond shot, I'm begining to wonder if they'll even make a suitable template! Yes, that is a hub cap that quite a few members on here made fun of...Tis alright, I got some rims in the works, timing is everything, can't rush perfection (17X6" 73mm hub bore and 25mm offset).

·
Registered
315 Posts
What are you planning on doing with the carbon fiber sheets? Are you replacing the shot fibre board backing and reusing the vinyl covering or are you going to have the carbon fiber as the surface?

·
Registered
776 Posts
I doubt I could sell those door panels, they are completely shot-beyond shot,
Sorry - I meant the new CF panels. They could sell perhaps?

Yes, that is a hub cap that quite a few members on here made fun of...Tis alright, I got some rims in the works, timing is everything, can't rush perfection (17X6" 73mm hub bore and 25mm offset).
Ah. Glad there is something better in the works. Some wheels can look just great on Spiders. My fav is the GTA style.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What are you planning on doing with the carbon fiber sheets? Are you replacing the shot fibre board backing and reusing the vinyl covering or are you going to have the carbon fiber as the surface?
No vinyl, just carbon fiber, I got, I believe, 3mm thick carbon fiber sheets, I believe I spent $250, which was enought to do both door panels, arm rest inserts and lots left over for minor accents here and there. Unfortunately, the problem I seem to be having now, is for some unknown reason, my window crank isn't coming off. It is now broke, drilled (the set screw snapped, so I had to drill it out), it just sits on the shaft and wobbles around, but no matter how much I pry on it, evenly, one side at a time, etc...**** thing won't come off:mad:

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry - I meant the new CF panels. They could sell perhaps?

Ah. Glad there is something better in the works. Some wheels can look just great on Spiders. My fav is the GTA style.

Oh, making those, yes, possibly, but the sheets of carbon fiber are far from cheap to begin with, so add a little to make it worth my while and yeah, too much...
These are the rims in question...pics...The second all black one, would actually have a chromed lip, not all black. I like the two tone look on rims, gives it more dimension...

Attachments

·
Registered
520 Posts
those rims. any goddamn rims. are an improvement.

interesting idea, i mean who says the door skins have to be fabric!

·
Registered
429 Posts
I think it sounds like a cool idea, if it's tastefully done, just don't go all ricer boy and paint the armrests bright red and the door handles electric blue or something.:D

·
Registered
776 Posts
Those are good looking wheels DD, but they don't suit the Spider (IMO). A more 'solid' wheel tends to favor the Spider. I.e. more wheel and less holes, if you know what I mean.

It's not just about the wheels, but the vehicle as a whole. If you go for over the top wheels, that's all people will see; the vehicle is eclipsed.

My 2c for free! Divide by 1.47 for Euros.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just don't go all ricer boy and paint the armrests bright red and the door handles electric blue or something.:D
No, it is all staying black, no accenting of the interior, just changing the tan peices to black.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you go for over the top wheels, that's all people will see; the vehicle is eclipsed.

My 2c for free! Divide by 1.47 for Euros.
If people like what they see, they may enquire more about the car. A guy at the gas station asked me what year my FIAT was, even though I was wearing my Alfa Romeo jacket...Geez. He knew about FIATs but was clueless to the Alfas, so he got his first glimpse of one yesterday. If you want our cars to be more valuable, you first have raise awareness about them. Secondly, don't act like they are a handful to work on. For my car to have the mileage it has, I've not yet replaced anything on it that I wouldn't have had to do to any other car.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
interesting idea, i mean who says the door skins have to be fabric!
EXACTLY! I'm sure the only reason there is fabric/vinyl on them now is because the engineers knew no one wanted to look at cardboard....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After drilling 4 holes along the circumfrence of the window crank shaft, I've finally got the broken handle off. First step after removal, is to remove the add ons from the door panel, to be sure the dimensions are correct. Next step will be to clamp the door panel face down on the back side of the carbon fiber sheet and trace it's outline-as flat as possible.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Now it is time to trace the door panel, face down on the backside of the carbon fiber sheet. I used a rag to keep the vice grips from altering the epoxy finish on the front side-better safe than sorry:D Also made sure there was ample overhang left over, since I won't have a vinyl trimming on the outside edges.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,741 Posts
Now it is time to trace the door panel, face down on the backside of the carbon fiber sheet. I used a rag to keep the vice grips from altering the epoxy finish on the front side-better safe than sorry:D Also made sure there was ample overhang left over, since I won't have a vinyl trimming on the outside edges.
Nice Idea. Watch your fingers. We don't need any blood in this one ;)

J

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice Idea. Watch your fingers. We don't need any blood in this one ;)

J
I can't make any promises as we all know, mechanics life is all about "blood, sweat and gears"...also, mechanics "Screw, nut, then bolt"...:eek:

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
After much searching, finally found my jig saw-in the kitchen drawer-no doubt. Here are some of the almost done photos, now if I could only find my dremel to remove the edges (she's over a 1/4" larger for fine detailing)....

Attachments

1 - 20 of 53 Posts