Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I recently was having troubles with keeping my carbs adjusted. Several BB seemed to think the cause of my problem was the lack of support for the carbs on the fender side. My setup at the time was Alfaholic's TS intake manifold >> isolation spacers (plastic ones with o-ring on both sides) >> Webers >> Pipercross dome filter plate >> Pipercross trumpets. I am sure a lot of folks have had success with this set up. I have not particularly.

After discussing the different possible solutions I decided to buy the support plate and strut offered by Centerline. I had a feeling that they were not going to work due to cylinder spacing but I gave it a try. Sure enough I was right they don't work on the TS with the Alfaholic's intake manifold. Neither the plate nor the strut. Oh well, I am going to save them for a future project on a 1750 motor I have.

Where this leaves me is the need to make a suitable plate as I don't know of anyone who is currently making one of these.

Fortunately I have a CNC Router (like a mill but generally used for wood) that I run at work. Lucky dog some of you might be saying, well... yes I am. :D I will be producing one of these tomorrow for my own use and to workout any kinks. The drawing is done and the code written so I can spit one out whenever anyone needs.

I am going to be offering them at the same price as Centerline sells there's for: $49.50 plus shipping.

I have not worked out the strut situation just yet but that is next on the docket.

If anyone has any questions you can shoot me an email at mavidal at mavidal dot c0m or just respond here. I will post a picture here tomorrow once the first one is cut.

Regards,

·
Super Moderator
11,388 Posts
Excellent plan!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well here is the first one. It works. Its a little thick; going to re-code it to mill it down to 3/16" from 1/4". The good aluminum (6061) does not come in 3/16"; at least not locally. This first one was just cut out of the 1/4" stock.

Video of it being cut if anyone is interested

Regards,

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nice!

Hope this helps you to get rid of your issues with the carbs
Wish I had one of those at my workplace! :)

Great project thread you got going on also Miguel!

Keep up the good work

Kenneth

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
;) yep! The plate keeps the two carbs from vibrating independently from each other but really does nothing to keep them from vibrating in general. The strut is needed for that.

Because the TS intake manifold is a different length than the nord the Centerline strut does not work as it is. Its two short and the angle is wrong. I am working out the details of how best to resolve this.

First the strut itself needs to be extended; which will be a basic flat bar extension (made that earlier today and will be testing it when I get home. Actually made two with different lengths. Its not an easy thing to measure while the motor is in the car.)

Second the angle that the strut meets the plate changes. This is a little more challenging. Once the length is correct I will be able to address this part.

The strut is significantly more complicated to make than the plate. I felt the Centerline strut is a great value so if I can add two small pieces of flat bar and utilize their strut I will be better off. I will post pics as soon as I get this resolved.

Regards,

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
The Nord strut can be extended easily enough - I just cut the U-channel section and welded in a matching piece. The angle at the carbs cane adjusted simply by bending the bolt plate at the top of the u-channel. A little heat helps.

BTW - the rubber bushing at the bottom is the same as the ones used to support the center muffler section.

Robert

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The 2-1/4" extension worked perfectly. For the angle I simply bent the strut a little more and that solved that problem. The extension I made was a little rushed so its not the prettiest of things but proved the concept.

If anyone buy a plate I will supply the extension too. Though if Centerline changes their strut it will be on you to either update me on the change or correct the extension on your own.

What a difference the strut make too!

Well off to put a few more miles on the car :D

·
Super Moderator
11,388 Posts
As I said much earlier. Webers don't like to be shaken. See? You fixed it!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Great!

Hi,

I have bought one of these from Miguel for my TS convertion project.
Perfect fit and the plate looks great! Nice machine work :)

Thanks Miguel!

Kenneth

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Kenneth! Post some picks of your engine when you get to that point in your project.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
easy way might be tapping small diameter alloy tubing with a pair of low cost rod ends. you can add rubber bushings to the bolts for damping or mill out a flat section in the tube to use of a turnbuckle for ease of adjusting the lengths..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts