Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it OK to sand the inside of the rubber mount so that it better "fits " the intake port?
What is the sealant for the intake manifold gasket?

thanks
Bruce
bellevue WA

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Hey Bruce:

My two bits......I think it would be ok to sand the barrel of the mount to match the intake port and carb port, but do not sand the mounting face. I use a thin coat of permatex on my mounts, but they are IAP style for the conversion (plastic holder with two rubber o rings).

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
75 Posts
Best price for Carb Mount for Weber 40DCOE

A mechanic said my mounts appeared to be old, cracked and leaking air.

International auto's price is $25 X 4 = $100.

Where is the best price for Carb Mount for dual Weber 40DCOE.

1966 Alfa Romeo Duetto Spider 1600.

·
Super Moderator
10,351 Posts

At International Auto Parts. They cost $25 apiece. Or from Centerline - $100 for four.

Centerline sells a variant of these mounts - a single part that handles the front barrel of the rear carb, and rear barrel of the front carb (then you use the same single mounts for the outer two barrels). The theory is that the common mount reduces carb vibration. Total price is the same - the common mount costs about $50.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
I just bought a bunch,both 40 & 45 for restoration work. The double unit Jay shows above is a help in maintaining balance between the front and rear Weber. Pity it's not available for 45 mm. For concours authentic show use, the individual insulators are desirable. One other source you might try is Trail Auto, owned by Dean Russell. Phone : 313-561-3327. Dean has the OEM style, sometimes for less than other sources. Tell him I sent you.
Any cracking is BAD. The rubber has started to deteriorate, and it is a matter of time until you have an air leak, with potential lean mixture on one cylinder and possible engine damage. Always replace them all, as a set.
Minor port matching internally, with the gasket in place, is good practice. The manifold should be removed from the engine (if the engine is assembled) to avoid metal and rubber debris in the port.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts

1966 Alfa Romeo Duetto Spider 1600.
Just to help everyone feel better about Alfa parts pricing: I bought a set of four of the Weber rubber mounts from the dealer in Nashville back in '77 :)eek:) and paid (you guessed it) $25 each. No kidding. So, either the mounts are a real deal now, or I got a real hosing from the Alfa dealer 30 years ago.
Jim

·
Richard Jemison
7,220 Posts
What???

Minor port matching internally, with the gasket in place, is good practice. The manifold should be removed from the engine (if the engine is assembled) to avoid metal and rubber debris in the port.
Gordon!
Both rubber dust and aluminum dust is soft and will help seal the rings and improve compression! Where have you been!:eek: Keep up!:p

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
RJ, your giving me grief again! I know SOMEONE that wraps everything in plastic and ONLY THEN ports manifolds to heads! Now, how unnecessarily careful is that?

BOOM!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
RJ, your giving me grief again! I know SOMEONE that wraps everything in plastic and ONLY THEN ports manifolds to heads! Now, how unnecessarily careful is that?

BOOM!

Is that box between the engine and cabinet my X-mass gift? :confused:
It has my name on it :rolleyes: :D

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
I just put that there for my friend RJ to ask about:confused:. His comment will be something like; "Broke all the factory rods, didn't you!".:rolleyes: To which I can answer, "No, UPS bent them all when I shipped them to you!":p
It goes on and on, but we do have fun here!:cool:
Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!:D

·
Richard Jemison
7,220 Posts
Pic???

Gordon:
What is the cam? One of those "warmups" ex Autodeltas?

I like the blue "Nitrous Bottle" :eek: COOL:p

I straightened the factory rods, while hot I streched them .040 to get you a bit of compression.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts