Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me identify this carburetor? It looks exactly like the DCOExx except it has an extra air correction screw on the top side. There is no markings on the aluminum but all the jets appear to be Weber. Is it a Weber?
Thanks for your knowledge. Cheers, James
IMG_2272.JPG IMG_2273.JPG IMG_2274.JPG

·
Premium Member
14,214 Posts
It looks like an emissions Weber but I suppose that it could be a clone. What emulsion tubes and idle jets are in it?

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ed,
The emulsion tube is F11 200 and the idle jet is 85F9.
I have checked Weber reference guides in my possession and none seem to correspond to the jets in this carburetor.
The question is, if it is a clone, why add an extra air screw?
Do Weber DCOE carbs bear stamping or mark somewhere?
Thanks for your help, James

·
Super Moderator
11,663 Posts
It's an emission Weber, Italian or Spanish, that is what the extra locked down needles over the throttle bores are used for. It IS a DCOE. Could be older Italian, newer Spanish or (shudder) a knock off from China.

·
Super Moderator
11,663 Posts
James, anyone at anytime could have altered it's original jetting and set-up. What you have is an emission type body. If you want to investigate further, alloy analysis can tell you Italian or Spanish bodies as the casting alloy's differ. Chinese reproduction alloy I've no idea. Sometimes I can match up body casting inspectors stamps, Italian Webers had a lot, Spanish fewer. Then there is shaft end ball bearing mount and types of seals. That also gives me a clue. I would need the body in hand for comparison. Otherwise, you will live with the uncertainty. This is only my opinion from my own experience.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that information, Gordon. I am left with the fear that less than honest people will replace the tops on these Chinese carburetors with genuine Weber tops and offer them as originals. Are we reached the age when mechanics will no longer repair DCOE's only to replace them with cheap clones?
Cheers, James

·
Super Moderator
11,663 Posts
I fear so James. Look at the Oil and Water pump threads. Some of these reproductions are pretty pathetic. At one time, you knew you had a good oil pump without question, by the seller and cost. Now it's a XXXP shoot. I researched Alfa oil pump sources with google. One manufacturer in China sells them for $10 to $40 USD to distributors around the world who then try to pass them off on our GOOD Alfa parts suppliers. I've one on my bench that is useless. The owner paid over $400 for it from a well known U.K. supplier.
If you want to send me more detailed photos of your bodies and inspectors marks, I might (or might not) be able to ID the manufacturer. Try me by e-mail. You could send me one, but if it's junk, you will be out shipping.
I stay busy as an Old Alfa Guy helping out owners of these cars I love. It's sad to see one damaged with a less than standard quality component part.
FYI, Spanish Webers are getting better all the time. They are not hand assembled like the old Italian Webers, and there are new design changes that make rebuilds a bit more time/cost difficult, but component quality is now good. A racer sent me a new pair of Spanish 45DCOE9's to upgrade. They were NOT old Italian 45DCOE9's but pretty good replicas, with identical function. I was pleasantly impressed.
I hope this is helpful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts