Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I want to use carburetor head on Motronic 2,0l Nord from Alfa 90 (in the picture). Are the blocks the same, so it will be simple direct fit, or there are some differences? Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
i believe the only differences you will notice will be the stud lengths for the intake manifold. carb cars wont have VVT, but that is strictly a difference with the valve covers.

·
Premium Member
13,995 Posts
My current motor has a Spica head on a J-tronic block. There are no issues, it goes straight on but I am using Webers. The intake ports in the J-tronic head are different than those on the SPICA head. Alfar7 posted pictures showing how the ports are offset. So you will be OK if you are using SPICA or Webers but you will have much more work if you plan to use J-tronic with a SPICA head.

·
Premium Member
13,995 Posts
The head on Richards race car is a j-tronic. He had to do a lot of work to it to make it match the intake manifold. I don't remember the details but with a lot of work it has better ports than could be achieved using a SPICA head.

·
Registered
491 Posts
i believe the only differences you will notice will be the stud lengths for the intake manifold. carb cars wont have VVT, but that is strictly a difference with the valve covers.
Some carburetted Alfa90 2.0 DO have VVT, believe or not. It depended on the delivery market, I believe.
Motronic heads also have small cutouts above the injector nozzles, which carb and Spica heads do not. Also, on later carb heads (1983-89), the whole intake manifold is different; the coolant plenum is made partly of the intake flange on the head, which has a boss for the thermostat housing (it's not symmetric like on earlier heads). The latter must be blocked with a custom-cut plate to fit a Bosch intake or you'll have a decent hole in the cooling system.

I have some experience of successful mating of a Spica head to a Motronic block and VVT. It only took some milling (cam follower wells and tops of intake ports) and replacing the top corner studs with shorter ones.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts